Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 16, 2005, 10:04 PM   #1

I have bought this camera about 6 months ago. Today I was playing with the menu buttons (up, down, left, right) at the back and all of a sudden the functionswere doing weird things, now when i use the "down" button the camera zooms, and it has shut off using the up button, now when i scroll thru my images it all of a sudden it popped up a print option menu. Has anyone found a cure for this other than returning the camera to Olympus?
Jomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2005, 11:14 PM   #2

I have not had this problem with my C-730 but have you tried leaving the batteries out for several hours. (24 hrsseems to berecommended time.) This will reset the camera to the factory default settings and may resolve your problem. Otherwise, it sounds like a trip to the Oly repair shop may be the only solution.

Good luck!

Paul in NoVA
Oly C- 730 B- 300 TCON- 07
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stoney_g
plg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 1:31 AM   #3

I had this with a C740 I bought refurbished. I could not find a solution other than to return it, so that's what I did. The replacement (another C740) has been behaving beautifully for several months now.

Good luck!

-RH
R_Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 8:37 AM   #4

Thanks for the comments, I will try the battery removal idea too but I suspect it will have to go back for warranty
Jomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 6:43 PM   #5

Hello. I got the same problem as you and fixed it doing the following:

- turn on the camera

- openmemory compartmentdoor -error message appears-

- press OK and "quick view" button together

--special menu--

select Camera, then reset

Good luck....

I have a question of my own:

when I got the annoying button issue, I installed the latest firmware on the camera (C740_FU_Fr_v754f-85-D01.exe). Now myC740UZ is not recognized on XP SP2 and Win2K. (ie: can't download picts!)

Anyone knows what to do about this?
Michou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 7:59 PM   #6

Your camera is probably set to "control" mode. Using the same steps you outlined above, you should see a "USB" menu item with "Storage and Control" as the options, select storage. This appears to be a left over option from the old SDK firmware, as the PICTBRIDGE firmware no longer has full SDK support, which means that it does not support computer control.

KuoH

Michou wrote:
Quote:
I have a question of my own:

when I got the annoying button issue, I installed the latest firmware on the camera (C740_FU_Fr_v754f-85-D01.exe). Now myC740UZ is not recognized on XP SP2 and Win2K. (ie: can't download picts!)

Anyone knows what to do about this?
KuoH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 6:24 AM   #7

When I experienced the problem, I tried all of the above to no avail. I hope that one of these solutions works for others, but none of them happened to work for me.
R_Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 2:03 PM   #8

Thank you KuoH, it worked. Great camera with so many bugs! At least we are getting good at troubleshooting it!
Michou is offline   Reply With Quote