Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 17, 2005, 8:16 AM   #1

I have been looking for a new digital camera to replace my Olympus C-50. That was a great camera but I gave it to my daughter. I looked at Sony DSC-W7, Casio EX-Z750, Canon SD500 and Nikon Coolpix 7900. I almost bought the Canon (as the IXY 600) but held off. Now I have discovered the Olympus Digital 800. It looks like a winner and my previous Olympus was great but I wanted to know if anyone else has any comments. Along with the usual great picture quality it has 8 megapixels, all-weather construction and a nice big hyper-crystal display, so I must admit I am very close to buying one. My concerns are auto-focus in low-light and how good the flash is.
feibojie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2005, 11:53 PM   #2

I have one on order and should receive it sometime next week so I will let you know what it is like. I am anxious to compare it to my Fuji F-10

Here is a sample F-10 photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2005, 3:08 PM   #3

As promised here is a sample photo attached from the Olympus Stylus 800. I like the Stylus 800 a lot. Please keep in mind however, that when using ISO 64 through ISO 400, the max resolution available is 8mp.

When you use Iso 800 and 1600, the max resolution available falls to 4mp.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Aug 2, 2005, 3:11 AM   #4

Hi Speaklighty. I'm considering either the F10 or the 800 too. A bit concerned about the drop in Mp when using ISO 800/1600 though. Have you found it much of a problem? How would you compare the two cameras?

Thanks!
Stevie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 8:50 AM   #5

Speaklightly,

I am in the same boat Stevie G. I am looking at the F10 and 800. My wife is a straight point and shoot gal, so I am thinking the scene modes on the 800 will help her greatly. Does the 800 feel as fast as the F10? How about the low light performance? The drop to 4mp does not concern me if the pictures are sharp, at most I print 5 x10. Any comments on the two cameras will be helpful.

Thank you,

Wickcasa
wickcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 7:06 AM   #6

Steve and wickcasa-

The olympus Stylus 800 is just about equal to the Fuji F-10 speed wise. I have no complaints at all about the ISO 800 and 1600 shots at 4mp. All in all I like the Stylus 800

Here is a sample no flash ISO 1600 shot at 4mp. Auto white balance handled those flourescent lights quite well

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Aug 4, 2005, 8:49 AM   #7

Thank you Speaklightly!

I am going to give the 800 atry.
wickcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2005, 12:41 PM   #8

Thanks, that's very useful. I'm still undecided on these two. I want to go for the Olympus as it's newer, looks sturdier and has all the specs I'm looking for, but the F10 has had such good reviews I'm still considering that one too. The F10 takes pics at 6mp using 800 & 1600 ISO so that aspect of it is better than the 800.

Decisions decisions! Which one do you find you use more, the F10 or the 800?
Old Aug 6, 2005, 8:11 AM   #9

Stevie G-

If you don't mind the lack of real manual controls, the Fuji F-10 is quite a value. If you can wait until October 2005 you can purchase a Fuji S-5200 built around the same imager.

Sarah Joyce
Old Aug 6, 2005, 8:14 AM   #10

What are the specs of that, do you know?

S'ok. Just found it online. No, that's much to bulky for what I need. Think it's still between the F10 and the 800 (though that new Panasonic FX1 or whatever it is with 8mp and 16:9 video looks interesting!