Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 13, 2003, 10:34 AM   #1

Default 5050 shutter lag

Assuming that the 40x0 and 5050 have similar exposure processors, does anyone know if pre-setting wh balance has a real effect in shutter lag?
Also, is the exposure/focus sequence in the oly digicams slower than a film camera? if wh balance is preset, shouldn't the rest of the sequence be really fast?
Sometimes, the 5050 will take 2-3 seconds before firing.
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2003, 2:40 PM   #2

It takes 1-3 seconds, depends on what you are focusing on. I have not noticed any shutter lag beyond what is expected. I like the C-5050Z... glad I purchased it. It has a lot of power.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2003, 3:28 PM   #3

i can really speed things up with manual exposure, focus lock and preset w.b.; i just wondered if wb by itself makes a real difference.
PS: when shooting in low light on a predictable target, you are better off in manual focus rather auto assist lamp, as it takes forever in quick shots (ie people that actually move).
Old Jan 13, 2003, 8:18 PM   #4

Geof

Are you pressing the shutter button half way to the let the autofocus lock and then press the shutter full when the green light is displayed in the viewfinder?
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2003, 8:33 PM   #5

i tried to forgo that by manually selecting EVERYTHING: focus, shutter, aperture, wb. So its not that i don't give the cam time, its that it shouldnt need to go through the steps. I am thinking it must be the actual ccd speed ( if there is such a thing noticable enough).
I wonder how this camera rates against other similar-rez cams under the same manual setings?
Old Jan 15, 2003, 11:56 AM   #6

If the subject is truly "predicatable", prefocus on the spot where the subject will be when you want to make the exposure. This is an old trick for shooting sports with a manual focus camera. Also, if you want instantaneous flash photos with the Olympus (I have the C4040) you will need to use a NON-dedicated flash, either manual or auto. With the FL-40, you still get the lag from that DAMNED preflash. With preset WB, manual exposure, prefocusing, and non-dedicated flash, you can shoot anything.
Skiola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2003, 3:37 PM   #7

Skiola, thats what i meant by predictable. But it still takes time before the shot happens. I dont get it.