Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 15, 2003, 9:19 PM   #1

Default HQ vs SHQ

lg and gibsonpd3260 both say they shoot HQ rather than SHQ. Just out of curiosity, any others do the same, presuming some will be printed, and not just web shots?
jmcdev1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2003, 9:25 PM   #2

i have been shooting mostly HQ with my previous 3000. storage size VS print quality difference wasnt that great. The images i knew i was going to print beforehand i would shoot in TIFF anyway.
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2003, 10:03 PM   #3

With my C3020, I generally shoot in SHQ mode for normal stuff when using a 128M card. Being limited to 80 of frames or so per card (i.e., before uploading) is not particularly an issue for me.

I can't defend nor will I try to defend a position that claims that SHQ quality is significantly better than HQ. For most subject matter and modest output sizes I hardly can tell the difference. My simple minded notion is if the pic fits, its best to capture it using the highest quality recording mode. For really special shots, I use TIFF format.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2003, 10:17 PM   #4

I agree with what Jawz said. With my C700 I shoot in SHQ, unless I'm vacation or I'm going to shoot a lot and then I'll chose which pics are HQ pics and which are SHQ pics.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2003, 11:01 PM   #5

There is a barely noticeable difference. SHQ is ever so slightly softer. Snapshots= HQ, important shots,=SHQ. Need more space? Use SHQ.
fotoman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2003, 11:15 PM   #6
lg

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoman150
There is a barely noticeable difference. SHQ is ever so slightly softer. Snapshots= HQ, important shots,=SHQ. Need more space? Use SHQ.
Did you mean sharper?
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2003, 12:30 AM   #7

I have shot a few test photos under various conditions just to see the differance, and I have yet to be able to see any. My camera is 2 MP so if there were any degredation I would think it would be more obvious at 2 MP. I use HQ 100% of the time. It is really a personal choice. I run regular gas in my car, but know people who will swear that premium makes theirs run smoother, faster, cooler, yada. If you have small cards use HQ. If you have large cards and plenty of them use SHQ. It can't do any harm.
jbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2003, 11:25 AM   #8

Sorry, i did mean SHQ is slightly sharper. I discovered it when I compared the highlight in the eyes from each mode. The highlight was just a little sharper in the SHQ shot. It made enough difference to me that I perfer SHQ when I'm shooting something important. BTW I have a car that runs like crap if I put regular gas in it in the summer time.
Old Jan 16, 2003, 12:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoman150
I have a car that runs like crap if I put regular gas in it in the summer time.
Is that something to do with the noise it makes, or the fragrance that comes out of the exhaust? 8)

fenlander

Oh, yes. I always use SHQ. If you've got it, flaunt it...
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2003, 12:08 PM   #10

Probably both.