Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 30, 2005, 3:58 PM   #1

I have had my Olympus C740 for 13 months (always happens after the warranty doesn't it) I am currently experiencing an exposure problem under bright conditions. Inside or under relatively low light conditions it takes properly exposed photos. Outside in bright sunlight the pictures are so overexposed as to be barely discernible, depending on how brght it is, of course. In addition to auto I have tried manual settings, but under bright sunlight the results are the same. I balance the meter and the pictue is overexposed. It seems as if either the aperature or shutter is stuck. I can hear different shutter speeds happening, so I guess that leaves the aperature. As long as the lighting conditions are such that the shutter can compensate the exposure is ok (in auto) I guess that it isn't the meter, since it seems to work under low light contitions.

Anyway, if someone else has experienced this I would appreciate their insight. I am not sure how much servicing such a problem would cost, so any inputs on the cost (and success) of repairs would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help.
kart42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2005, 10:46 PM   #2

Did you check that the ISO didn't accidentally get set too high? Posting the EXIF data or an unedited pic showing the problem might help.

KuoH
KuoH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2005, 10:08 AM   #3

I checked ISO. It was set at 100 (lowest available) from the picture info and the problem occurs in auto where I shouldn't have to worry about ISO.

Further experimentation leads me to believe that the shutter speed varies normally from 1sec to about 1/60 sec. Above 1/60 sec there actual speed is not increasing as the indicated speed increases. I don't know if the camera is designed in a way that this can happen but it is surely what seems to be occurring.
kart42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2005, 4:58 PM   #4

I am so sorry - that sounds like it's faulty!
I notice this post is not too recent - so you may have acted on this by the time I have responded.
There is no way the shutter speed should get stuck at a max of 1/60th - unless the flash is up, or the camera THINKS the flash is up. Occasionally a camera can get confused for one reason or another and I believe mine has done it twice - usually in My Mode. But I expect by mow you have tried all the different modes - i wouldstart off by turning it to Sports mode which encourages it to select FAST shutter speeds
Let us know how you get along.
Geoff
Oly C-740UZ & Minolta A-200
Geoff Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote