Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 4, 2005, 11:13 PM   #1

ok, so i set the ISO to 100 in the manual modes. then in P mode, i set it to auto. now when i go back to the manual modes, the ISO is down to 50. from what i've gathered, there is no AUTO ISO in the manual modes, but how come when i set the ISO to auto in P mode, it automatically changes the ISO to 50 in the manual modes?
turkish a. punkass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2005, 12:08 AM   #2

and also, when i change the ISO in the manual modes, it automatically changes the ISO in the P mode from the AUTO setting to whatever i changed it too in the manual modes.

for example:

in Aperture Priority mode, i set the ISO to 100.

in Program Auto mode, i set the ISO to auto.

now, when i go back to Aperture Priority mode, the ISO is set to 50, yet i have not changed it.

so now, i change the Aperture Priority mode ISO back to 100.

but when i go back to Program Auto mode, it's ISO has now been changed to 100.

i hope this is making sense, it's late and i worked 11 hours today.
Old Aug 6, 2005, 11:16 PM   #3

Hi t.a.p. - yes you are making sense, and probably explained it better than I could after a hard day at work.

The camera is doing what is designed to do. For the Aperture or Shuttle priority mode, it's telling you what the rotating thumbwheel will control when you spin it. Notice that a "green block" appears over the item thatcan be changed by the thumb wheel. This "green block" indicates that itwill never be changed by the camera, even when theexposure conditions change.The camera will change the shuttle speedfor correct exposureas the lighting changes,for the Aperture that you have chosenin "A". Or, if you areon "S", you lock in the shutter speed and it changes the aperture.

But it also doesNOT change the ISO speed, except when you select the Auto ISO setting.If you have selected64 ISO, it will not change that no matter what mode you select. (A,S,M). It was designed to give you total ISO control until you change it, (except when you are in P mode with "Auto ISO" selected.)And if you have auto ISO selected in P mode, when you will leave P mode, the auto mode is not available, so it reverts back to the default speed of 50. I have my top menu programed for ISO as the B button (left arrow key) so that I can swiftly change ISO if needed. (Page 158 in the manual.)

It sounds like youprobablywant to program it for different ISOs, depending on if you are shooting in A or S mode. You can do that by using the "My modes" options. This allows you to save 8 different unique modes, retainingall the current settings, each mode remembering every setting of the camera at the time you saved it. (Page 160 of the manual.)

Hope this helps; it's late, and I've had a long day. So forgive me if my answers did not make any sense. My fingers have a hard time keeping up with my mind as I type. Let me know if my answers were confusing.

Good Luck.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 10:04 PM   #4

so i cant have the ISO set to 100 in A, S, and M modes and auto in the P mode? that's a let down.