Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 17, 2003, 11:35 PM   #1

Default I finally Got My UZI!!

Thanks to all for the help and information on buying my very own UZI!
I have been dealing with Olympus on a refurb for a month and half! Their Emporium has been sold out for a while, but as I said, I've been working on this for quite a while!
It arrived today, and I it looks brand new in every way! Not a mark, finger print or a scratch on it! It even "smells" new!
I was wondering if someone can tell me how I can access or find out what the firmware rev. is. I understand 78 is the latest?
I have been very busy today and haven't even set up the time/date yet! I did put some batteries in it and took a macro shot of a flower without reading anything, and I'm quite impressed.
I can relax now, as I have been "obsessed" with getting this camera!
Thanks again, Bob
Bob W R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2003, 12:22 AM   #2
lg

Using a text editor such as Notepad, open a picture you have taken and examine the first few lines in the file. You are looking for a string that looks like this: "v352u-73."

I don't know if version 78 is the latest, but I have two UZIs, and the firmware above is the oldest; both cameras work flawlessly, and I am not aware of a reason you should upgrade if yours is at least 73. I am of the opinion that "If it ain't broken, don't fix it!"

I hope you will enjoy your UZI as much as I have, and wish you the greatest enjoyment using it...
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2003, 8:31 AM   #3

Bob

Congradulations. Olympus will upgrade the cameras to latest firmware during the refurb. The Uzi is in such demand they do not set on the shelf.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2003, 11:36 AM   #4

Thanks to all for your help! I will check it out!
I had my first day shooting with the UZI and it's a great camera! I'll get better after I get used to the settings!
You can check a few of my first shots!
Thanks, Bob
http://www.pbase.com/bobr1/uzishots
Old Jan 19, 2003, 1:19 PM   #5

You have a good assistant driver. Nice pics.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2003, 11:39 AM   #6
lg

Glad to hear you are enjoying your camera, Bob! Those are really nice pics you took! Be sure to check out the macro function for getting really tight closeups of the flowers.
Old Jan 21, 2003, 12:43 AM   #7

Thanks to all for the replies and comments!
I didn't think I could enjoy a camera as much as I have with this one!
Besides the IS, The low light IR focusing aid is terrific! I have been experimenting and I have taken some indoor low light flash shots that I never could have done on the C-730 without guessing distance and using manual focus!
Thanks again, Bob R.
Old Jan 23, 2003, 11:57 AM   #8

So 'v352p-77' is OK ?
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2003, 2:20 PM   #9

Default Firm ware

I don't know what my firmware rev. is! I couldn't find it in note pad or in the other programs! I am just assuming they updated it during the refurb!? Maybe someone else can read it in one of my images's on the gallery.
http://www.pbase.com/bobr1/uzishots
Thanks if anyone can do it, Bob
Old Jan 25, 2003, 11:37 AM   #10
lg

Bob, you must have edited the pictures, or your Camedia software overwrote the firmware version in the EXIF header with the text "OLYMPUS CAMEDIA Master." There aren't many photo editing software packages out there that preserve all of the EXIF data. Take a picture with your camera, and do not edit it, then examine the file and see if you can find it. In Windows XP, the firmware version comes up under the field "Creation Software."

Give that a try and let us know.

TonyG: That firmware version should be fine-- it's higher than anything I have on either of my UZI's! If I am not mistaken, it's only the last two digits that matter.