Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 18, 2003, 10:38 AM   #1

Default C730 or S602z???

Which camera??
Please help.
I am looking to buy my first digital camera (v soon!)and would love some help. I am a bit of an amateur at the moment but looking for a camera i can grow with, and keen to learn. My main requirements at the mo are a camera with 3mp +, a decent zoom and easy to use, straight out of the box - I am going on Safari in 3 weeks time, so dont have much time to learn initially. Therefore good auto until I can learn manual!
I have been doing loads of research and think I have finally narrowed it down to two: the Oly C730 and the Fugi finepix s602 zoom. Although the Oly has the better zoom, I am leaning towards the S602 as a better choice allround camera. Would welcome input from anyone who has experience of both these.
Much appreciated.
Nicky
NickyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2003, 11:12 AM   #2

I would buy the C730. 3mp, 10X zoom. The Fuji is also an excellent camera. I like the optics in Olympus cameras. They are some of the best in digicams.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2003, 11:27 AM   #3

Nicky -

Tough question. I have an Olympus C-730UZ and couldn't be happier with it. 10X optical zoom is great and you can easily add a B-300 for a little extra reach. (Check http://www.b-300.com/index.html for examples of B-300) Auto and program modes have given me excellent results as has the "My Mode" setups. One of the major complaints most folks (me included) have about the -730UZ is low light focus, so around the camp fire while on safari may take some practice. The Xd picture card seems very fast and is readily available in 128 megs and soon in 256. Have a great trip and happy shooting.

Paul in NoVA
plg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2003, 11:47 AM   #4

Thanks,
In reality thou, how good is the C730 zoom, in view of the fact that I may not be able to always use my tripod as I may be shooting from a truck.(on safari) Will having 10x be useless in these conditions?
Also I have read that the image quality is v reduced at full zoom anyway. Is this so in your experience?
And some people say it is not very easy to use and takes long time to power up.??
Old Jan 18, 2003, 11:56 AM   #5

s602z has problems in low light too.
Am investigating ways to combat this.
Old Jan 18, 2003, 12:34 PM   #6

I got a C-730 on Wednesday am I'm really happy with it. I also bought it becuase I was a keen amateur that wanted a camera will lot of manual features for me to grow into.

If you're going on safari, the 10×zoom will be brilliant. The olypus optics seem good to me, and becuase I guess you'll be in bright daylight a lot of the time, you can use faster shutter speeds and camera shake shouldn't be too much of a problem, especially if you take a few shots in fast mode and just keep the best of them.

I would advise you to take both a full-size tripod and a mini one with you though for when you need to drop the shutter speed, this is what I have got and in combination with the optional remote control I am getting pin sharp zoom photos. (A mini tripod will fit in your pocket and you can quickly set it up on the truck's roof/hood when it is stationary)

Low light focusing is a slight problem for the C-730, and also for the S602 I believe, but it is easy enough to overide it with manual focusing if you want to. You'll find that most digicamswithout an assist lamp will struggle in this area.
Eddie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2003, 9:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie J
I got a C-730 on Wednesday am I'm really happy with it. I also bought it becuase I was a keen amateur that wanted a camera will lot of manual features for me to grow into.
You should check out our C-700 (720/730) Yahoo group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Oly_C-700/

There's also a group out there specifically for C-730 owners.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote