Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 19, 2003, 2:42 AM   #1

Default Changing ISO affect picture quality?

I am in the market for a digital camera so far I am impressed with Olympus C-50 after reading the Steve's reviews about it. My understand is the camera's default setting for ISO is 80. Is there a different in picture quality when you change the ISO to 160 or 320 like in film photos? (high ISO produces more grains in the photo)
piano009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2003, 4:28 AM   #2

I don't have the C-50, but based on my understanding of Olympus digital cameras (I have 3 of them), the default ISO setting should be "Auto"--with a range between 80 and 320. Unless, of course, you set in manual mode, in which case you can set it to whatever you want to.
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2003, 4:53 AM   #3

Yes, it does effect picture quality at higher ISOs...although my C700 can go up to ISO800, I avoid it due to the noise/grainyness...I use ISO400 max.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2003, 8:22 AM   #4

Mike is on point -- higher ISO will produce more grain in the pic and increase noise. I take pics at lower ISO and then use editing software to brighten the photo.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2003, 12:43 PM   #5

just wondering if i should "lock" the ISO at 64 for daytime outdoor shots. or let the cam select it......havent really tried it out to see the difference, but was wondering what you all think.
thanks,
rick
dal81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2003, 1:15 PM   #6

If I were to lock the ISO, I would set it at 100 for outdoor shots and 200 for indoor shots.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2003, 2:37 PM   #7

Thanks much! still learning this thing :lol:
dal81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2003, 3:45 PM   #8

In theory, increasing the ISO on a digital camera will not increase grain as it would in a traditional film camera. In traditional silver halide photography, faster films are faster because they have physically larger grains of silver suspended in the film's emulsion to capture more light. This is not the case in a digital camera, since the number of pixels in the CCD sensor remains constant.

Note my first sentence states "IN THEORY." While it is true that your digital photos taken at a high ISO will not be any grainier than one taken at a low ISO, they may be noisier. This will only be the case in low light situations. Where light is bright and plentiful, changing the ISO will not affect the image quality of shots made with a digital camera.
feetr2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2003, 11:56 PM   #9

Default Is it worth it to buy this Olympus C-50 ?

Thanks for the answers everyone. Then I have one more question: Is it worth it to buy this camera? I would appreciate any direct and hornest opinions from everyone in here.
piano009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2003, 12:12 AM   #10

That default is good for daylight shooting. Based on other Oly cameras, you can set whether to power up on Auto ISO, Manual ISO, or a specific ISO...I know in my case (with my C-700) I use the default of ISO100, and then adjust depending on the situation if I need more sensitivity (at the cost of more noise).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote