Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 19, 2003, 4:41 PM   #1

Default Having a problem with my new C4000z *update*

I posted this at dpreview, so you might see it repeated.

We just got this about 2 wks ago. Dh has been using it and testing it out more than I have.

But, we're having problems with it's consistency. We aren't messing with aperature settings or anything of the sort. We mainly just want it to take a picture and us not have to worry about settings.

Whenever we take a pic, we will get one maybe two good pics, then shooting at the same object we get a dark one (like the flash isn't working like it should.)

Dh has had to go into it's settings and reset auto flash. It will again take 1-2 decent pics, and then a dark one. This is indoors in the same setting of the same object.

We want this camera for vacation, and we can't be spending 10 min. trying to get the camera to work. We are ready to send it back.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Lyndy

* We sent it in for repair and it came back doing the same thing even though they repaired it. We were so disgusted with it we went and bought a Kodak Ls443 - we are truely loving this camera. It has a lot to offer and the price has come down! I know that the Olympus was just a fluke (or at least I'm hoping so). But for now, I think it has worked out for the best as the Kodak will be great for us.
Lyndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2003, 4:57 PM   #2

What kind of batteries are you using for it? I wonder if a robust set of NiMH might give better flash performance than non-rechargeable alkaline or lithium batteries...

I have a C-4000 also, and have had consistently good experience with it (so far mainly with the "Program" (all auto) setting, indoors/outdoors with and without flash). Would it be feasible to take it back to the store and exchange it for the same model and see if your luck will improve?
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2003, 10:37 AM   #3

I've been using a C4000 for over a month with no problems. I assume from your post that this is only occurring indoors with flash.

There is a delay for the flash to recharge. This may be prologed after a couple of fairly rapid shots. If it still recurs after allowing a longer charge interval, the camera may be defective.
JackH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2003, 12:36 PM   #4

I called Olympus this morning, they said to take the batteries out for 24hrs and see if it resets itself. If it doesn't I'm going to have to send it in for repairs.

Just what I want to do....
Old Jan 20, 2003, 1:24 PM   #5

Lyndy

When I have sent my camera to Olympus for repair, Olympus has always returned it via the same mode as I sent it in. Overnight ship it to them and they return it overnight.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2003, 5:15 PM   #6

* We sent it in for repair and it came back doing the same thing even though they repaired it. We were so disgusted with it we went and bought a Kodak Ls443 - we are truely loving this camera. It has a lot to offer and the price has come down! I know that the Olympus was just a fluke (or at least I'm hoping so). But for now, I think it has worked out for the best as the Kodak will be great for us.*

I posted this up above, but then realized it wouldn't have bumped the thread up!
Old Feb 24, 2003, 10:03 AM   #7

I own the oly c-4000 for about a month and never had that kind of problem ...
Olivier21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2003, 10:34 AM   #8

Default Re: Having a problem with my new C4000z *update*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndy
I posted this at dpreview, so you might see it repeated.

We just got this about 2 wks ago. Dh has been using it and testing it out more than I have.

But, we're having problems with it's consistency. We aren't messing with aperature settings or anything of the sort. We mainly just want it to take a picture and us not have to worry about settings.

Whenever we take a pic, we will get one maybe two good pics, then shooting at the same object we get a dark one (like the flash isn't working like it should.)

Dh has had to go into it's settings and reset auto flash. It will again take 1-2 decent pics, and then a dark one. This is indoors in the same setting of the same object.

We want this camera for vacation, and we can't be spending 10 min. trying to get the camera to work. We are ready to send it back.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Lyndy

* We sent it in for repair and it came back doing the same thing even though they repaired it. We were so disgusted with it we went and bought a Kodak Ls443 - we are truely loving this camera. It has a lot to offer and the price has come down! I know that the Olympus was just a fluke (or at least I'm hoping so). But for now, I think it has worked out for the best as the Kodak will be great for us.
Lyndy,

Did you read the manual before you used the camera? I don't mean to put you in the spot, but you indicatedt that "Whenever we take a pic, we will get one maybe two good pics, then shooting at the same object we get a dark one (like the flash isn't working like it should)" leads me to believe that you didn't give the flash enough to time to repower for the next flash. There is a delay between flash shots as stated in the manual. Also, when you set the camera to "P" for full automatic mode, you need to press the shutter half way to allow the camera to focus automatically. When the camera indicates that the subject is focused, "stead green LED light", then you can press the shutter button all the way down.

I don't think your C-4000Z camera had any problems at all.
gmlasam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2003, 3:07 PM   #9

Oh yeah, we waited for the flash and always pressed the shutter 1/2 way down and waited for the green light before pressing it fully down.

We've had plenty of cameras that needed that to be done (slr). In fact the Kodak Ls443 has the same type of set up (push 1/2 wait for green light - focusing, then fully press it down.)

Yes - we did read the manual forwards and backwards, read the one on the darn cd too! I always read manuals before I even use things. Now my husband on the other hand doesn't always do that.

There definitely was a problem with the camera (obviously if Olympus stated that they repaired the shutter), but I don't believe it was a shutter problem, but a flash problem. I think the flash overfires (the white pictures) and under fires (the dark). Now, when I say white - I mean you can't make out anything in the picture except for a white/bright light. The same goes for dark - completely dark.

If there wasn't a problem with the camera, and it was a user problem (which I highly doubt as dh and I were both having the same problem), then the camera definitely wasn't for us.

I know I'm the only one on the entire internet that has ever had a problem with the Oly c4000z as I haven't read any other complaints or problems other than the known ones like the focus issues and barrel distortion, but it sure makes me wonder why I found so many c4000 listed on ebay. It's like they are everywhere and there are a lot of refurbished ones out there.

Thanks for putting me on the spot - I kind of like it here! :lol: