Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 19, 2003, 5:03 PM   #1

Default C-4000 and infrared photography

I checked my C-4000 last night to see if it had a built-in infrared filter by looking at the business end of a TV remote through the camera's LCD and seeing if I could see infrared lights light up (happy me, it doesn't).

I have a Tiffen lens mount on my C-4000, with a 43mm thread. So, is there anything in addition to a 43mm infrared filter that I need to buy to be able to do infrared (or near-infrared) photography? Speaking of which, are there any 43mm infrared filters available?

Thanks in advance.
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2003, 10:13 PM   #2

This page should answer all your questions:

http://www.cliffshade.com/dpfwiw/ir.htm

Although it's based on the older Oly 2020Z, should give you all the info you need.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2003, 10:50 PM   #3

Thank you Mike, that website is certainly chock full of information.

A quick question: Right now I have a 43mm lens mount on my C-4000. Hoya's R72 filter does not come in 43mm size. So, I'm going to have to get a step-up ring. Does the size of the filter matter in terms of getting better results? I can go from 43 to 46, 49, 52, or 55mm (these four Hoya IR filters are priced the same).

Thanks again.
Old Jan 20, 2003, 2:16 PM   #4

I asked this myself some time ago. I also tested my 3020 with the remote and it beamed bright.

The advice I received said the latest cams are not sensitive enough to IR and you'll need to take long exposures unlike the UZI.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2003, 3:26 PM   #5

I use a Kenko tube adaptor thats 41mm-52mm on my C-5050.Filters are very common in 52mm and no stepdown ring is needed.
I just purchased a Kenko VC-200Hi conversion 2.0X which is 52mm but have not used it yet.Maybe when it gets a little warmer I'll try using it outdoors.

Ray

D490Z,C5050
EasyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2003, 6:06 PM   #6

Hyun,
your lcd MUST SHOW the bright light for the camera to be ir sensitive.
My research has shown me that the 2mp Sony chip used in the nikon950/oly20X0 series of cameras was more accutew to ir than the next 3mp sony chip used in the nikon990/885, and olympus 30X0 cameras, and so on. That, coupled with a better HOT MIRROR (IR blocking lens in front of the chip) has made the newer cameras less sensitive. There is a mechancal process shown ingreat detail on how to remove the mirror, but DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME.
I did try the remote method with my 5050 though, and it lit bright as the sun!!!
In your question regarding the filter size, keep two things in mind:
unless you get a high end filter like BW, go for the smallest size you can, because a smaller redius allows for less lens manufacturing imperfections; and the biggest diff between small and large filters is the price: it almost seems to rise exponentially, like by the square inch or something.
I am right now debating the cost of a 62mm as opposed to a 46mm, to fit it on my 2X telephoto (for portraits).
So there you go...Hope it helps a little.
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2003, 2:09 AM   #7

Geof, and others,

Thanks very much for the helpful information. The IR from the remote control certainly seemed bright enough when I viewed it through the LCD of the C-4000, and also of the D-550--but of course this is a subjective measure.

I've ordered the Hoya R72 filter in 46mm (*only* $33!) from www.2filter.com -- it should be here by the weekend and I'll post a report.

Thanks again.
Old Jan 21, 2003, 1:20 PM   #8

has anyone noticed out of focus on digicam shots, especially with teles?
i know the focusing for IR is off that of visible light, but is it noticable with a digicam's extended DOF?
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2003, 2:20 PM   #9

Hyun, I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on with the IR filter - in detail.

If all works well I'll get one myself.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2003, 6:57 PM   #10

Unfortunately you can't get good IR photos with the C3000 and C4000 series cameras as they very effectively block IR from getting to the sensor. If you want to take IR photos you'll need to use a C2000 series camera or use the C2100. On either of those cameras a Hoya R72 filter will work just fine.
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote