Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 21, 2003, 1:50 AM   #1

Default did i damage anything??

well, i accidently turned on my c5050 with the lens cap still on :shock: has anyone else done that? and found any damage to lens motor? guess i'll have to make it a habit of shutting it off in "playback" mode so even if it goes on mistakenly, at least the lens wont extend.....im not liking the power switch location on the 5050
dal81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2003, 2:00 AM   #2

I wouldn't worry about it. It's a common "feature" of the C-series digicams--the infamous "lens crash." I've read somewhere that when the lens barrel tries to extend and encounters obstacle, it'll beep and retract and try it three times before shutting the camera down. I haven't had the heart to subject my C-4000 to test it out, though

For all the reported instances and user curses over the "lens crash," I've yet to hear of a camera that got damaged because of it...

Steve (of Steve's Digicams) highly recommends Olycaps from Dancraft ($9.95 including shipping)--the cap is attached by a hinge to a body that goes over the lens housing, and when the lens barrel encounters it, it simply flips it back. Here's the link:

http://www.olycap.com/

If I didn't use a Tiffen lens mount with my C-4000, I'd get one of those in a heartbeat. As it happens, the Tiffen mount is long enough for the barrel to fully extend AND I can still use the Olympus cap that came with the camera, despite the fact that it's for 41mm diameter and the Tiffen is 43mm.
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2003, 9:28 AM   #3

dal81

Join the army of Olympus C users who have done the same thing.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2003, 10:26 AM   #4

I have to tell you - I've got an Olycap and a fine little gadget it is, too. However, no way is an extending lens going to flip it open - its latch is far stronger than the grip of a standard Oly lens cap.

If it's any consolation, you do stop crashing your lens after a bit. It's like treading on the cat's tail - the noise is so awful that after a bit you get REALLY careful...

fenlander
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2003, 10:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenlander
However, no way is an extending lens going to flip it open - its latch is far stronger than the grip of a standard Oly lens cap.

Oops, thanks for the clarification--reading Steve's review and the sales blurb on the website made me think that it would.
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2003, 1:06 PM   #6

thanks!.....guess its time to get that olycap!
dal81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2003, 1:42 PM   #7

I think a lense adaptor like the cla1 or tiffen equivelent with a uv filter would be a better way to protect your lense. just leave it on all the time and you no longer have to worry about lense crashes, plus you can add additional filters.
andrew7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2003, 10:01 PM   #8

I bought the Olycap under the premise that it would simply spring open if I mistakenly powered up with the lens cap on. I am quite disappointed with the Olycap that I received because its latch is as fenlander described, way too strong to simply spring out of the way when the lens would hit it.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2003, 2:31 AM   #9

I agree...a filter tube and a UV or Skylight filter left on the camera at all times (except when using the internal flash) is a better solution...it not only protects the lens, but protects the lens assembly tube from dust. Also it protects the lens assembly tube from getting bumped...some people have bumped their tube out of alignment so it wouldn't extend/retract; a filter tube would have protected the assembly from being bumped.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2003, 2:47 PM   #10

Default Cheese

I have NEVER done that. NEVER! Do you hear me?

CAMERA KILLERS
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote