Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 13, 2005, 12:44 AM   #1

I have a small showroom, about 10 x 10, that I use for photographing my bathroom products. I am using a 3mp Sony Cybershot and am having a hard time framing everything into my shot. According to the reviews the 7070 is jsut what I need but can someone give me an objective idea how much more of a scene will be in the shot with a wide angle lens?

Thanks

Steve
Attached Images

drj99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2005, 7:47 PM   #2

We would need to know the wide end equivalent angle on your Sony - probably between 35mm and 40mm (often 39mm!!)
Look ahead with one eye ~ that's about like a 50mm
Look ahead with two eyes and that is more or less like your Sony - about 35 - 40mm
the 27mm on the C-7070 is a noticable bit wider than that! (24mm is 90deg view) the only thing to watch out for is the distortion effects when you go out that wide.
Geoff Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2005, 10:17 PM   #3

Thanks Geoff,

Two questions. First, is the distortion at the fringe of the picture or is the entire picture distorted? If the entire picture then why use a wide angle, is the extra scene worth the loss of fidelity?

Second, does the gain in scene apply up and down as well as left and right? The one eye, two eye test only gave me a gain in left and right scene.

Thanks,

Steven
Old Aug 13, 2005, 11:33 PM   #4

Hi: According to the EXIF data from your photo you use aSony DSC-P32; which has a 38mm equivalent at its widest setting.

So usingthe the 27mm settingof the Oly C7070, your width of the coverage should increase about 28%. The photo output of the C7070 is excellent; the results should be superior to your Sony.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2005, 1:01 AM   #5

Thats unbelievable that there is any data on the photo(EXIF?) after running it through Photoimpact, brightening, cropping, resizing, and renaming.

So 27mm is a setting and not the general condition of the lens? Is this just the equivalent of the zoom/unzoom of a point and shoot?
Old Aug 14, 2005, 3:48 PM   #6

Sorry - The eye test was just to give you an idea - obviously I should have said that it increases proportionally in both directions. The distortion I talk of is barrel distortion - I believe it's quite good on the C-7070 so I wouldn't panik. Check out the review on this site and cross check it also with Imaging resources review.
Geoff Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2005, 12:09 AM   #7

so let me get this straight....someone puts something like that in their bathroom? I have a toothbrush and a roll of tp in mine

must be nice

gregg

:lol::lol::lol:
gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2005, 2:27 AM   #8

Hi Steve.

I just bought a C-7070. At full wide, I measured about a 70 degree field of view.

You are going to love having a wide angle lens.

As for the barrel distortion, yes, it's there, but I can be easily corrected for if you have imaging software (photoshop). PT lens is a great plugin that automatically compensates for the barrel distortion for your specific model of camera.
David French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2005, 4:58 PM   #9

David French wrote:
Quote:
Hi Steve.

I just bought a C-7070. At full wide, I measured about a 70 degree field of view.

You are going to love having a wide angle lens.

As for the barrel distortion, yes, it's there, but I can be easily corrected for if you have imaging software (photoshop). PT lens is a great plugin that automatically compensates for the barrel distortion for your specific model of camera.

As a point of interest - as barrel distortion can very easily be corrected by most photo software packages- why don't the camera manufactures auto compensate for this in the camera software in the first place?
baxwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2005, 2:18 PM   #10

Good point, the 7070 does have considerable distortion at wide angle.* It shows up more on buildings than on landscapes.
Attached Images

Whisperin Squash is offline   Reply With Quote