Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 13, 2005, 5:07 PM   #1

i find that my 8080 focuses horribly slow in lowlight. in a low lit room (not necessarily dark), it seems to take the camera atleast 3 seconds to properly focus, if it can lock focus at all. i was trying to get a picture of my buddy blowing a smoke ring last night and the camera absolutely would not focus in the time to get the shot. it was very frustrating. isnt this why it has an AF lamp?
turkish a. punkass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2005, 11:31 PM   #2

very starnge

I have an older model c-3040 and was looking to upgrade possibly to that because I have heard that it's low light ability is incredible

I have taken pictures in a dark restaurant with no AF and they come out...I can't speak for your modelbut I set mine on 100 ISO, shutter prefferred at 125th and full wide (f1.8)...sometimes flash at+3

yes it sometimes takes a couple of seconds to focus but they look great considering this is4 year old technology

I also took one of a cat in the driveway with only a street light 30 ft awy in the full auto mode!

I have to wonder how far you were away...I just purchased the fl20 flash (on ebay for about 80 dollars)...which is another reason I want that camera since it will slide on the hot shoe...although I'm considering the 5060...I'm poor

can I ask where you got it and how much you paid?

I've seen the c-8080 as low as $399 (gray market?) and as high as $699...that's a heck of a range

I'm also spoiled by the wireless remotewith my olympus c-3040.

thanks

gregg

(I know I've heard good things about B&H and Abes of Maine.....but there are so many out there)
gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2005, 10:33 PM   #3

i guess it might be since this is my first digital camera. my old nikon n60 slr seemed to focus a lot faster.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 6:29 AM   #4

I just got my c-8080 last week and am experienceing the same problem. I had the c-5050 before and never noticed it being that bad. It's quite frustrating and I hope I'll find a solution soon as it is such a good camera otherwise..
naiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 5:46 PM   #5

you have me concerned...I thought the 8080 was great in low light....my 3040 can take a second or two to focus but almost always does even in total darkness...keep in mind this is 5 year old technology!

have you tried your 8080 in a higher ISO? say 200? Is it just that your pics are coming out dark or out of focus or not focusing at all in low light?

maybe your just imaginingthat it is slowand are too drunk from all that tea you drink in the UK.:lol::lol::lol:

gregg (drinking coffee)
Old Aug 18, 2005, 5:50 PM   #6

I would think if you use an external flash and a 100-200iso the pics should come out much better...although that probably won't have any effect on the focus abilities just the end product
Attached Images

Old Aug 18, 2005, 5:54 PM   #7

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/C8080/C88A12.HTM

click then scroll down to "night shots"
Old Aug 18, 2005, 10:01 PM   #8

ok, i just did some testing. in my apartment right now the camera is metering at about 1/8 - 1/15sec and max aperture. i notice that at wide angle, it takes the camera less than half a second to autofocus on most things, but at telephone, it takes 2-3 seconds for the camera to autofocus. not really sure how this compares to other cameras in its class, i just know that with my nikon n60 35mm SLR, autofocus takes less than half a second at telephoto. i guess i had assumed that the 8080 is a much more advanced camera than the N60 and thus would autofocus quicker. but im thinking maybe there is something inherant to the design of digital cameras that causes them to take longer to focus in low light.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 10:13 PM   #9

what ISO did you use?
Old Aug 18, 2005, 10:14 PM   #10

was that ANY telephoto or full to 140mm?