Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 13, 2005, 11:39 PM   #1

there is such a range of prices for some of the models I've looked at that I'm scared to give my credit card to one of these lower priced dealers

I'm waiting for these low priced dealers to say...it's gray market, or it's back ordered, or they will only sell it to you only if you buy accessories with it....

I'm on a very very tight budget (ok I'm poor)....but have been leaning toward an olympus c-8080 (but might have to settle for the c-5060)....can't find any other camera that works in lowAND bright light AND has a wireless remote AND a hot shoe other than the canon rebel and the dimage A200 (although I hear it's low light ability is suspect)...I was thinking of the nikon 8800 but I hear that' it's so so in low light and maybe out of my price range

I've seen the c-8080 as low as $399 (gray market?) and as high as $699...that's a heck of a range

I'm spoiled by the wireless remotewith my olympus c-3040.

thanks

gregg

(I know I've heard good things about B&H and Abes of Maine.....but there are so many out there)

gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2005, 1:01 AM   #2

Hi Greg

Amazon in the Uk gave me a good deal with one of the best prices around. My C8080 came with the very latest firmware version too.

Be quick though - I've heard the C8080 is to be discontinued

John
baxwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2005, 1:13 AM   #3

thanks I'll check out amazon

gregg
Old Aug 16, 2005, 10:02 PM   #4

Hi: Check out alsothe Olympus direct auction site on e-bay. I had excellent results with them.

http://stores.ebay.com/Olympus-Auctions_Digital-Cameras

Also check B&H Photo; I bought many items from them over the years, and never had any problems. Also heard good things about Beach Photo, and Abe's of Maine.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?

http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/home.asp

http://www.abesofmaine.com/default.asp
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 10:47 PM   #5

thanks....

i have also heard from others about those on line stores and have seen them get good ratings as well
Old Aug 24, 2005, 7:45 PM   #6

B&H
Whisperin Squash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 1:50 AM   #7

Couple of thots ...

1) usually, the low-ball prices on the 8080 you see are for re-furb units, or outright 'lies'.

2) ESPECIALLY since you're on a tight budget, remember that you should also factor in additional cost such as a relatively fast CF card (makes quite a difference in shot-to-shot speed), filters, extra BLM-1 battery, tripod, etc (depending on what you have now).

3) your 3040 remote should work with later gen C series.

4) Also consider the 7070, about $350 shipped from most reputable dealers - fwiw the low-light (or at least ISO 400) is better compared to the 8080, coupled with the f-stop difference, it sort of even things out.
core is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 2:17 PM   #8

thanks for your comments...but you lost me in your last part...the 7070 is better at low light than the 8080 at 400 iso?

I don't know ifI would go higher than iso 160-200 as I hear the noise levels in the 7070 are noticeable. I don't go above 100 on my 3040...looks terrible at 200...But it will be about a month or two before I decide...you are right about accessories for the camera...BUT.....I have an fl-20 flash...works on both the 7070/8080and Imay sell my filters and two lenses...2.0x generic and 1.7x olympus on ebay if I get the 8080 as that will has a 140mm..good enough for the time being. Polarizing filters are cheap enough so that's not an issue...we have a great camera store here in New Port Richey, FL (PASCO CAMERA)...he has a lot of new and used accessories

I am also watching the 8080 drop in price as it has or is being discontinued. I am a sucker for clearance stuff...bought all my electronics that way, never had a problem. Yes, I know digital cameras have far more things that can go wrong then a stereo receiver or certainly a pair of speakers. But it seems that if I buy say a refurbished 8080 from olympus on ebay they have already replaced or took care of whatever was wrong. I see them now for about $450....tell me I am crazy (you wouldn't be the first)

It may be out of my budget but I'm also seeing the digital rebel new (the older 300model) dropping in price as dealers want to dump them...I even saw a retail store that had one new for $699 with the lens. Yes, that is still too high for mebut The advantage of that is I can always buy a clearance say...sigma lens even a year down the road...where if I buy the 8080 I'm back to 140mm or carrying conversion lenses should I decide I need more down distance the road...

just throwing some thoughts out...but you are right...I see the 7070 for $340-380 all over the internet. That would make sense...then just see were my budget is in a year or two.

I don't upgrade to often so I take this seriously...I bought my 3040 in dec of 2001...Comp USA...had it half off...demo...nothing with it...$399...so I sure havegotten my money's woth out of it (before that a fuji mx1200, 1.3mp...my first digital....paid $150...half off at walmart! I sold it to a friend...he still has it and loves it)

gregg

Old Aug 26, 2005, 9:50 PM   #9

gregg wrote:
Quote:
the 7070 is better at low light than the 8080 at 400 iso?

I don't know ifI would go higher than iso 160-200 as I hear the noise levels in the 7070 are noticeable. I don't go above 100 on my 3040...looks terrible at 200...But it
Quote:
I am also watching the 8080 drop in price as it has or is being discontinued. I am a sucker for clearance stuff...bought all my electronics that way, never had a problem.
Quote:
It may be out of my budget but I'm also seeing the digital rebel new (the older 300model) dropping in price as dealers want to dump them...I even saw a retail store that had one new for $699 with the lens. Yes, that is still too high for mebut The
The general consensus is that the Sony 8MP CCD sensor in the 8080 is rather noisy, and this is evident in all the cameras (other brands) that use the same CCD, comparatively the 7070 is less noisy.

Being a sucker for clearance, have you seen the recent price of the TWO kit lens E-300? <<$700 from Dell! (w/cupon codes), and iirc somewhere in the region of $550 with one lens! (after all this Oly forum :-))

fwiw this is a ISO 400 (27mm, wide open, 1/8sec, AWB)handheld shot from the 7070, there isNO PP other than resize for posting. EXIF data for both the following shots should be present.
Attached Images

Old Aug 26, 2005, 9:54 PM   #10

And this is 100% crop of the shot, again I did not do any post-processing other than Crop and Save (80% JPG quality) via Picassa. Noise is evident, but printed 4x6 thru 5x7 does not show much, and 8x10 is acceptable for me. You could run it thru some NR routine.
Attached Images