Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 21, 2003, 5:46 PM   #1

Default Downloading communication error

I have an Olympus C2100-UZ and am running Camedia Master Pro 4.03 on a brand new HP laptop with Windows XP Home. Every time I beginning the thumbnail download process, I get an error message that says - "Error communicating with Camera". Sometimes I get 10 of the pictures prior to the error, sometimes I get 90 pictures before the error. If I go to the next step and actually download the pictures, everything works fine (except I can only get the pictures that shown with the thumbnails).

I've spent 8 hours on the phone with Olympus and they have given some suggestions, but nothing that helped. I called HP and they say that it is not a hardware issue since the camera is detected and I can start to download.

I've installed Camedia Master 4 on the same machine and get the same errors. Camedia Master 2 works but we'd like to be able to use the upgrade.

I've installed the same version of Camedia Master Pro 4.0 on two other machines (one Dell desktop with Windows XP Pro and one Toshiba laptop with Windows XP Home) and everything seems to work fine.

I've uninstalled and re-installed the software several times and edited the registry after each uninstall to remove those pieces as well. I've also used the HP restore disk to start fresh. I always get the same error.

I can't bypass the Camedia software to download the pictures since the C2100UZ will not show up as a removable device.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Tim
TimPasbrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2003, 5:58 PM   #2

Tim,

Try these:

1. Unplug all other USB devices (physically remove the cables) and try your download again (on that same port you've been trying)

2. If that doesn't work, put the cable in another USB port that works fine with other USB devices (for example, a printer or a scanner) and see if you can get it to work.

3. If you are comfortable taking a peek inside your BIOS settings, you could access it and make sure that the BIOS option for "Plug-and-Play OS" is set to "Yes".

I'd say that there's nothing wrong with either your camera or the USB cable, since you are able to get it to work on other computers.

Sorry to hear you are having problems! Definitely no fun having computer hardware problems--there are simply just too many variables.
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2003, 12:04 PM   #3

I've been having trouble with my USB printer. sometime through the printing process it stops. I'm sure it's a USB problem and have tried loads of suggested solutions to no avail.

My mate had the same problem and resolved it by buying a PCI to USB 2 card. I'm going to do the same.

Have a look at this site www.usbman.com
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2003, 6:20 PM   #4

Thanks for your replies.

I never had anything else in the USB ports and had tried all three ports in the computer. Without the camera plugged in, I had a mouse that worked fine in all of the USB ports. The Bios settings were ready to go for the USB ports.

The printer problem that was mentioned sounds like an issue with USB 1 ports and that's why the USB2 card solved it. That shouldn't be the problem here, but I suppose you never know. Since my computer is a laptop there's no room to add a new USB card/port.

Any other ideas would certainly by appreciated.

Tim
TimPasbrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2003, 11:06 AM   #5
lg

I am sorry to say it, but my solution was to get some other software! The v2.0 of Camedia supplied with my camera didn't work with XP. I upgraded to v2.6 (at a cost, please note gripe!), and it still balked while displaying thumbnails. I got CompuPic for about $40 to do all my post editing, and now I use the Camedia software only for doing panoramas.

If no one else comes up with a solution for your problem, I know that this one works! Welcome to the Forum, and I hope you enjoy your camera!
Quote:
I can't bypass the Camedia software to download the pictures since the C2100UZ will not show up as a removable device.
Save yourself some time and effort and purchase an inexpensive card reader that works with SmartMedia cards. This will also save you the battery drain or the need for an AC adapter for your camera to download your pictures.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2003, 11:26 AM   #6

I haven't bothered to install the "Camedia" software that came with my last two Oly cameras! (C-730 & C-2100) Just buy a card reader and your problems are over! Camedia isn't very good for post processing anyway! Good Luck,
Bob W R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2003, 1:40 PM   #7

I concur with Bob and lg. I never bothered to install the Camedia software either. The card reader is the way to go. It's really faster and easier, once you get used to handling the cards. With SM cards, just be careful to NEVER touch the PC contacts on the back of the card. The SM card reader should cost you around $20, or you can get a "universal" one which will handle CF, SD, etc. for a little more.
Bert Bigelow is offline   Reply With Quote