Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 15, 2005, 6:08 PM   #1

I have a c-3040 and am looking to upgrade

although the 7070 doesn't offer a remote...did they put a sensor in it so it will work with the rm1/rm2 wireless remote?

also can you share your experiences in low light with this camera?

thanks

gregg
Attached Images

gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2005, 11:10 AM   #2

You can buy a remote on e-bay for around $13. My e-bay aftermarket remote works great. Low light does seem to cause some focusing problems. I use a laser pointer to focus on and it works great. I just got my c7070 from dell for $350 tax/shipping included. Seems to be a lot of accessories on e-bay.
dand57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 11:21 AM   #3

thanks

I have an rm1 remote with my 3040....

I wrote this posting before I read the review here in steves-digicams

I never read the review because when I read somewhere on a spec list(http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Olympus/oly_c7070wz.asp)that the remote wasn't available (the words optional weren't even used) so i never looked any further...those crazy people on DPreview :lol:

I never would have thought about the laser pointer thing...very clever

do you find the auto focusing improving in low light if you up the ISO to 100 or 200?

gregg
Old Aug 16, 2005, 11:36 AM   #4

I haven't noticed any difference in focusing with different iso settings. Is there an external flash you would recommend for the c-7070? The Olympus ones are very expensive. I have read about the D92-BZS from Phoenix. Do you know anything about it?
dand57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2005, 11:54 AM   #5

YES!!!!

The Olympus FL-20....I got one......but on my 3040 without a hot shoe...I have to usetheir bracket and their cable...it's well over 100 from olympus but about79-89 on ebay (where I got mine)....it will slide right on your camera...it is designed to work like an extension of your camera in full auto if you like...it claims to fill 65ft in front of you...i still don't understand all the settings on it

I have been using a generic cheap 35mm flash...but those can be a problem for two reasons...you can ONLY use that in full manual mode and then hope you don't flood the room and overexpose the shot...the other thing is many 35mm flashes are too high a voltage and could damge either the camera or flash (I found this out from a local camera dealer who told me so and tested the voltage before I used it)

the fl-20 is worth it for indoor photography....a flash makes a huge difference

but back to the low light....are you shooting in auto or have you tried in the same thing I do in low light...setting the camera as follows (I do this on my 3040 in low light)...widest angle, shutter preferred 100th or 125th of a second, 100iso (or 200 in your camera...mine looks terrible above 100)...it should set it at the widest opening....I think that's 2.8 on yours...and maybe uping the flash +3

you have to experiment with that flash setting...sometimes +3 can overexpose the shot if you are to close

also I find it hard to always hold the camera completely steady at 1/60th...although sometimes thats a better setting

gregg

Old Aug 18, 2005, 2:18 AM   #6

Well if you're refering to low-light long exposure, here's a sample just from last week.

27mm, ISO100, 6 sec @ wide open f/2.8 (rest of info is in the EXIF) - picture taken thru hotel window, focus was set to auto. No PP other than resize for posting. I bought a RM-1 fwiw ...
Attached Images

core is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2005, 2:22 AM   #7

And this one is 10seconds at f/4, ~60mm or so fl. No glass to shoot thru this time around. PP auto level and sharpen (via Picassa).
Attached Images

Old Aug 18, 2005, 2:34 AM   #8

And another from some weeks back ... ISO200, 27mm, f/2.8, 15sec. No PP. I stood behind the tree and manually fired a flash several times.
Attached Images

Old Aug 18, 2005, 2:44 AM   #9

Handheld, full zoom ~108mm, 1/25sec, f/4.8, auto ISO (camera set it to 125). PP are auto level and sharpen in Picassa. I brace the camera in, hold my breath,press and hold the shutter button down - about 1/2 the time I can almost manage shutter speed of 1/4 focal length. (ie, 1/25 for 100mm, 1/8 for 27mm).
Attached Images

Old Aug 25, 2005, 10:47 PM   #10

hey, what city was this taken in?

just crious