Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 18, 2005, 10:34 PM   #1

I do alot of low light work, of buildings so the wide angle is nice, but the fz20 has Image stablizer. Is the picture quality that much of a differance, and is the noise that much lower? I like big cameras so size dosen't bother me. How does the macro compare? Thanks to all who help me out
RyanDigitalBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 19, 2005, 12:59 PM   #2

So anyway I bought an 8080 last night after alot of reading, but still like to know your thoughts. - Ryan
Old Aug 19, 2005, 3:48 PM   #3

I would say learn how to use it. I've seen that you thought an FZ15 was sharper than a D70 so I think you need to work on your photography instead of swapping cameras.
Coolmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 7:30 PM   #4

I need to work on my photography? come on man....Almost six years of doing this, I've shot for newspapers, "big" music bands and models. The truth is that my Nikkor 80-200 2.8 ED was exactly the same sharpness as my friends fz15 on a tripod. Take it off and his image stabilizer KILLED all my lenses. I was using a 20 2.8D, a 50 1.4, a 85 1.8, 80-200 2.8ED, and a 400 4.5. Don't judge someone and say they need to work on their photography. In a real life test his camera won. Two months ago we did a shoot for a magazine, and I almost laughed when he showed up with his FZ15. Well his pictures were SOO much sharper that we both agreed to do a test with our cameras. The d70 is a soft camera. I've used it for almost two years. I tested the backfocus problem, It was ok. I know the noise is great on the Nikon, but the landscapes seemed soft to me. There has been alot of talk about wide angle landscape pictures being soft with DSLR's. I've known others with the same problem. Call me what you want but I sold my d70, and am still trying to sell my lenses. I don't care for it anymore, not after my own eyes saw the differance. I would love for you to do the same test....you would see also. check out my site RYANJOHNSON.ORG
Old Aug 19, 2005, 8:28 PM   #5

You obviously need wide angle for your work and it is better to get a wide angle lens to start with rather than use an adapter IMO. The only alternative I might have suggested are the KM A2/A200. Not quite as sharp as the 8080 but it has more resolution than the FZ20. It has stabilization and wide angle with more zoom. It also buffers raw shots.

The 8080 has a much higher resolution than the FZ20. The FZ20 has an excellent lens and most of that is in the extra Mp. But the 8080 is excellent compared to even 8Mp cameras.

The FZ20 for comparison:

My guess is that viewed at the same size the 8080 might have a noise advantage over the FZ20. I haven't done the math, but a 8Mp 2/3 sensor might have an absolute advantage in density over a 5Mp 1/2.5. Density isn't everything, but any in-camera noise reduction tends to reduce sharpness.

Get the free PTLens if you don't have it. It does a great job on any barrel distortion you get from wide angle. And you can set it up as an action in Photoshop. It has automatic settings built in for the 8080. You can use it with almost any image editor, but having the actions is handy.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2005, 8:28 PM   #6

ryanjohnson.org is not working. Everyone has an opinion. I doubt that you'll get much work published using a 8080. I have a an FZ20 and a D70 so I know what I'm talking about. To each his own:roll: Oh yeah that $399 for a FZ30 Amazon site is bogus
Coolmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2005, 4:11 PM   #7

Thanks Slipe.....oh and to coolmax....try handholding ANY of your Nikon lenses and then compare them with the FZ15/20. Bet you'll be surprised. Stange that you say it will be hard to get published with the 8080. My friend has been shooting eagles and birds for the National Autobahn Society for years using a 3mp digiscoping setup. He teaches photography and has held classes on digiscoping. His pictures have been published all over the US. Somtimes it's not the camera it what you can do with it. Maybe you could sign up for one of his classes...........MAX. .My server went down it will be up in a day or two - RyanJohnson.org
Old Aug 20, 2005, 4:17 PM   #8

Here's the resolution from the D70 and kit lens
Camera Measurement Absolute
Res.
Extinction
Res.
Nikon D70 Horiz LPH 1600 * 1850 Vert LPH 1450 * 1850 5° Diagonal LPH + 1000 n/a
The kit lens that gets such rave reviews about how great and sharp it is.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 5:10 PM   #9

"I doubt that you'll get much work published using a 8080." -coolmax

Maybe you just can't get work?
Here is a reporter that works for Newsweek paper that uses a 8080.
What's so bad about it? http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...id=7-6468-7844
Old Aug 24, 2005, 6:49 PM   #10

FZ20.**f2.8, 1/50, ISO 80Hand held48x digital zoomIS 1My 7070 is much sharper but I really like the Panasonics' IS.
Attached Images

Whisperin Squash is offline   Reply With Quote