Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 20, 2005, 4:23 PM   #1

I know from the word on the street that each sensor has its optium ISO setting for lowest noise. I noticed that the 8080 on DPreview has a lower noise level at 100 than 50. To my under standing this is why the D70 ISO only stops down to 200. Has anyone tested noise personaly to see if this is true with the 8080?
RyanDigitalBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2005, 5:20 AM   #2

RyanDigitalBike wrote:
Quote:
I know from the word on the street that each sensor has its optium ISO setting for lowest noise. I noticed that the 8080 on DPreview has a lower noise level at 100 than 50. To my under standing this is why the D70 ISO only stops down to 200. Has anyone tested noise personaly to see if this is true with the 8080?

I can't answer your question Ryan but I too would be interested to learn which ISO setting most experienced users on this forum set their C8080 camera at for general use.
baxwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2005, 10:42 AM   #3

im not exactly "experienced" but i tend to find that it is a good bright day that the auto ISO setting does a good job of selecting the best ISO to use, if its alittle dark, dark or im inside and im not wanting to use the flash then i tend to use a manual ISO setting of nomore then 200, unless i really really have to, combine this with manual shutter speed and auto apature i can usually get good shots with no, or very little camera shake, i only do this is i really want the picture and i have no other option.

im not sure if this is any use to you
Blaupunkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2005, 7:43 AM   #4

Unless I'm missing something, lower ISO = lower noise, in any case? See this page for a graph of the noise level of the C8080 compared with the C5050 at various ISO settings. The page also is full of other useful information.

I shoot at ISO 50 almost all the time, but I usually have a flash on the camera.
Vlad the Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote