Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 30, 2005, 4:06 PM   #11

For me, the SP310/350 are the most interesting. A faster lens would be larger, heavier and might have slower focus response. So I want to see how good the image quality is on these. If the upper ISOs are pretty good, a faster lens is not a big deal to me.

- Joe
joeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 5:24 PM   #12

SP350: 6 MP on a 1/2.5"-CCD
A fresh competitor for the KM Z6?

Compared with both cams the new Fuji S5200 looks promising with 5 MP on a 1/2.5"-CCD + SuperCCD technology.

Olympus will face bankruptcy soon if it goes on like that ...
shutterbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 9:08 PM   #13

Maybe Olympus is holding off on a replacement for the 8080? I hope so..that would be cool. If they could keep the 8080 the same with image stablizer that would be ideal for me. Just a thought.........
RyanDigitalBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 1:03 AM   #14

"Olympus will face bankruptcy soon if it goes on like that ..."

I fear you may be right. It's sad to see a company whichwas capable of producingthe incomparable E-100RS make so many missteps. I know there has to be a balance between the bean counters and the engineers, but Olympus is badly in need of that camera with the "WOW" factor.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2005, 1:27 AM   #15

"If they could keep the 8080 the same with image stablizer that would be ideal for me."

Yep, the 8080 without IS was another misstep for Olympus. I love my FZ10 and have resisted upgrading for a long time; however, the longer I've owned it the more I've come to wish it had an articulated LCD like the 8080. I would have already traded up to the 8080 if it had come with image stabilization. Now, it looks like the money Olympus could have made will be going to Panasonic for the new FZ30.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 9:00 AM   #16

so - has there been any word on these cameras yet, as far as reviews or new information?

i'm in the market for a new compact cam, and have been a bit dissapointed by the canon a620 size, so now i look towards the oly 310/350 models or the fuji e900.
phillytim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 8:29 PM   #17

I have been watching this forum for awhile but this is only my second post. I recently purchased 2 new cameras. The Olympus SP-350 and the Fuji S9000. I am very satisfied with both. I am including one of the first pictures I took with the SP-350. It was taken while still in the parking lot at Best Buy. My little dog went with me as a test subject in the store before I purchased the 350. She wouldn't stay off me while I was taking it out of the box, so I snapped her picture while she was climbing all over my lap. This is with the out of the box settings. All I did was put batteries in it!
Attached Images

Donnita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 4:04 PM   #18

Thanks Donnita, do you have images with different settings? It would be great to see what the image quality is like at ISO400 and 200.
Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2005, 10:21 AM   #19

Here is one that I took yesterday at iso 200. I will be taking more this weekend and will try some different settings.
Attached Images

Donnita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 11:04 PM   #20

your dog is precious! it is obvious that he/she adores you. Ilove the spontanaity of that photo...i am now convinced that the sp 350 will make a great backup/everyday pocket camera to my Canon xt

thanks Donnita !!
brady1434 is offline   Reply With Quote