Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 27, 2005, 6:25 PM   #1

Apparently Olympus is releasing there new line up of cameras on Monday, the 29th. I'll post a link when somthing comes up.
RyanDigitalBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2005, 3:28 AM   #2

Sounds interesting - C8080 Mk2 perhaps?

John
baxwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 1:44 PM   #3

A little point and shoot "apparently" aimed at the Fuji F10 crowd. That's interesting. A new ultrazoom that absolutely is not competitive. What WAS Olympus thinking?!
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 2:04 PM   #4

3X Zoom on the 8 megapixel one. Big whoop.

And no IS on the Ultrazoom. Both will be non-factors.

Olympus has missed the boat again.

Chrystie
Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2005, 4:57 PM   #5

I've been looking at getting either the C5500 or the C7000 which both have a 5x optical zoom lens. Size and price are the only two deterrents for these models respectively. Anyway, why would the new cameras shy away from this 5x lens? Was there a problem with them that I haven't heard about? Why drop all the way down to 3x optical?
sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 12:58 AM   #6

Personally, I think IS is overrated. This new UZ, like the C-770 before it, is the smallest super zoom on the market. That's what Oly is thinking and I personally agree.

I would have liked stereo recording and silent zooming during VGA movie recording, but oh well. We ultimately choose Oly cams because they take better photos, period.
ChumsGum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 11:34 AM   #7

The new UZ, with 4xAA and size-wise is bigger and heavier than the 770. The FZ5, with Li-Ion battery might end up being the same weight ... with longer zoom, wider apature, and IS (5MP though, and no hotshoe)

The new UZ does away with the hotshoe - what were they thinking.

Untill you use IS, it's hard to knock it - especially for a P&S, where you don't usually use a mono or tripod.

the 770, iirc, has a mic in so that you can record sound AND zoom at the same time.

the 770, iirc, has better video compression (compared to new UZ)

The SP350 looks interesting though, but I'm not in the market for that category at the moment ...

core is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 12:13 PM   #8

On the plus side for all the cameras released im very, very happy they have gone back to providing AA batteries as the power source for these cameras. That is the single largest reason I kept my C750 as I believe Canon is the only other manufacture that sticks with AA's for the majority of their camera offerings.

The SP-500 UZ is an interesting model. It seems to use the exact same 38-380mm lens I have on my c750 which makes sence since its also using the same sized sensor. 6mp is also an interesting resolution as every other ultra zoom offers something different with most at 5mp. Yes we know its only 1mp and doesn't really make a real world difference.... but you have to remember that the majority of digital camera buyers out their don't really know anything about digital cameras all they know is numbers and 6 is more than 5.:roll:Its kinda sad that raither than produce a killer camera Oly is marketing based upon the number game instead.

Would I buy an SP500uz? I'm definately thinking about it as the only thing it seems to be missing over my c750uz is the hotshoe which I have used once in the 2+ years of owning the camera. I like it does still use what I think is an amazing lens that im very familier with although I do wish they added some more range to it. I like that I should be able to use the wcon07/tcon17 combo I have right now to extend its range. I love absolutely that its an AA battery camera once again as this would be the #1 reason why I didn't jump ship to another manufacture like Panasonic for an UZ replacement. 2.5" display is great as the 1.8" on my c750uz was my largest complaint about the camera. And finally its black(!) so it will actually match with using the add on lenses!It will be interesting to see how it performs and see how that new sensor stands up. True its 50% more pixels on the same size sensor compared to my c750uz but its also coming out almost 2.5 years after the 750 did.... heres hoping whichever sensor it uses has been though a fair bit of developement over that time compared to the one in my current camera. No IS? well ive never used it and have gotten pretty darn good taking slow shutter/high telephoto pics handheld. Actually after learning how to brace/support myself properly to take good pics with my E-1/50-200 at full telephoto handheld shooting with the 750 is a walk in the park!

As for the SP310/350... I like the look overall, 7 & 8 mp is nice, features look good. The question I have for Oly is WTH is with the slow 3x zoom lens?38-114mm F2.8-4.9? Same size ccd as the C-5500 so the same lens could have been used which is a 38-190mm F2.8-4.8. The 5500 and these new models even looks slightly simular in overall design. Increase the resolution, decrease the lens qualities. I wouldn't consider either of these two models simply because of the lens kills it for me. Its too bad since I am looking into a morepocketable cameracompared to the 750uz, but im not willing to accept a slow lens/very limited zoom range in order to get it in my pocket. I was hoping for something from Oly to fill the requirements butmay have to look to sayFugi so I can still use the xD cards I have.

Just my thoughts, nothing more.

tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 2:25 PM   #9

At one time, I had a C700 which I still remember fondly. I see nothing inherently wrong with the new ultrazoom. I just don't think it will be competitive. If I'm right, I believe the price will drop rather quickly. I predict under $300 by Christmas and $250 within six months. If that scenario unfolds, I'd say Olympus definitely missed the mark.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 3:50 PM   #10

The new ultrazoom does not look nearly as small ans compact as the current UZs. That will negate the only advantage they have over the IS cameras. (If you want small though, my Panasonic FZ5 blows my three Oly UZs out of the water.) This new UZ looks about the same size as a Sony H1 which hasa 12X IS zoom. I think Olympus ommitting IS will make them a non competitor with the the Sony H1, Panasonic FZ series and the Canon S2 IS. Their new 8 megapixel camera with only a 3X zoom is pitiful when stacked up against the Sony F717, Nikon 8800, new Panasonic FZ30, and the new Samsung 15X zoom. It even pales beside my Oly 8080. Sigh.......

Chrystie
Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote