Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Aug 29, 2005, 5:15 PM   #1

Apart from the obvious difference of mega pixels, does anyone have an opinion on these models of cameras?

I am looking to purchase the camera for my girlfriend who is about to spend nine weeks traveling through Europe. Both cameras seem to be wonderful cameras with top of the line CCD sensors for their size, great zoom lenses, and good shutter speeds. I believe that I read that the C7000 has fewer manual functions, but it's so much smaller. That is my largest complaint with the C5500, it's huge for a "compact p&s", but it uses common batteries which are easier to come by if the battery fails.

I wish that these cameras were put together to make one camera with the same 5x lens, the use of two AA batteries with an image size anywhere from 5 - 8 MP.

Does anyone have advice on these cameras? Or others that might be similar?

Thanks,

Michael
sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2005, 3:32 PM   #2

As a new owner of a C-7070 I can almost feel your pain.* I was interested in the 5500 but the 7070 was just so much more, for the price.* The 7000 is very good but a little too pricey for what I needed.* The size of the 5500 is kind of big for a purse but seemed good for larger hands.* It's also at a good price.* *Have you checked out the new Olympus models coming out in Sept?* *Good luck,* Dick
Whisperin Squash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 4:36 PM   #3

I actually own both the C-5500 and the C-7000. Both are excellent digital cameras. Yes the C-7000 is smaller, but I feel that the C-5500 is a bit more capable and a good deal less expensive.

Here is a sample photo from the C-5500 taken in our living room at ISO 400, handheld.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 6:44 PM   #4

In the interests of real fairness, I also want to include a similiar photo created with the Olympus C-7000. I was taken with flash and it was hand held. I hope this helps.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote