Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Sep 6, 2005, 5:24 PM   #1

what do you guys have the ISO, exposure compensation, and saturation/sharpness/contrast etc set to?

i leave my ISO at 100 most of the time, have my exposure set to -.3, and everything else is still at zero. i'm wondering if you guys have gotten better results with changing the image settings.
turkish a. punkass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2005, 6:09 AM   #2

I leave the ISO at 50 unless in low light without a flash, or unless I need the flash to work over a large range. All other settings 0 because if it's that important I'm prolly shooting RAW and will modify it later anyway.

That being said, I tend to underexpose everything by 1/2 - 1 stop, because overexposing is unforgiving. That also gives me a little faster shutter to work with when I need it.
Vlad the Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2005, 9:05 PM   #3

Hi guys: I usually shoot at 50 or 100 ISO, with sharpness and contrast at +1, hue at 0, and saturation at +3, exposureat 0 with either ESP or spot, depending on the scene. Works good for most landscapes, and also most macros. But I have other modes set differently andwith IS0from Auto up to 400.

I usually shoot at SHQ quality.Unless I want to make a very large print, I don't mess with raw. The majority of my shots wind up on DVD or CD for viewingby television or computer screen.

C-ya,

Steven R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 12:44 PM   #4

I shoot my C-8080 with the following adjustments:

SHQ image quality only

ISO as low as possible, usually no more than 100 ISO

Contrast +1

Saturation +!

Sharpness +1

With those settings I can get photos like this:

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 5:12 PM   #5

Nice photo Speaklightly

My settings are a combination of those above sent by various members. The only problem I am experiencing is the old chestnut of my 8080 focussing in low light. Just can't seem to find settings to sort this out. I've used cameras for many years now and more recently a variety of digital cameras with no problems at all.

As an experimenton a stationary but detailed subject in low light conditions- with flash on /spot focus setting / 400asa - I half-pressed the shutter and waited for the focus lock light to come on. I then pressed the shutter the rest of the way and the flash fired etc. All seemed ok until I viewed the result.

Perfect exposure but not one part of the image was in focus. I don't understand this as the focus hunted for about 3 secs and then locked on! (What did it lock on to I wonder) I repeated this a number of times and only once did the camera hit the focus which resulted in a razor sharp image worthy of the 8080.

Photos I took at the same time with a fairly basic Sony digital camera were spot on every time with focus! I feel that my 8080 should cope with this without me having to keep a standby camera to cover low light focussing.

Other than this problem - I have had stunning results from this camera.

Any thoughts or suggestions as to which settingsI should use to ensure focus in these situations?

John (a very puzzled John at that)
baxwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 8:13 PM   #6

This issue (C-8080 low light focusing) has been raised before, both here and other forums. Some people will tell you to use spot, some iESP, and to make sure your focus assist lamp is enabled.

I've found that none of the above (nor any other option) makes any noticable difference, and that it seems that low light focusing is just a weak area for the camera. Can't win 'em all, I guess. Maybe we'll get lucky and improve it in a firmware update, but since the model is discontinued, I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

-Sean

Old Sep 12, 2005, 1:48 PM   #7

Vlad the Impaler wrote:
Quote:
This issue (C-8080 low light focusing) has been raised before, both here and other forums. Some people will tell you to use spot, some iESP, and to make sure your focus assist lamp is enabled.

I've found that none of the above (nor any other option) makes any noticable difference, and that it seems that low light focusing is just a weak area for the camera. Can't win 'em all, I guess. Maybe we'll get lucky and improve it in a firmware update, but since the model is discontinued, I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

-Sean

Sean

I'm glad it's not just me then. Having had many years experience with cameras I was sure there was a weakness somewhere that wasn't down to me. I take it that the focus assist lamp is the red beam when you half press the shutter.

The good bit is that in all other espects the camera is a total winner for me - when it hits focus it's razor sharp.

Cheers

John
baxwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 6:25 PM   #8

just to clear up an issue that has been confusing me... in order to have the ISO in program auto mode set to "auto", the ISO in A,S,M will automatically have to remain at 50?

turkish a. punkass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 9:58 PM   #9

Quote:
I'm glad it's not just me then. Having had many years experience with cameras I was sure there was a weakness somewhere that wasn't down to me. I take it that the focus assist lamp is the red beam when you half press the shutter.
The camera has two disadvantages I know of -- the low light focusing, and telephoto extendability. Because the lens is so large in diameter, there are very few teleconverters that will work well with it. The only one that I would consider acceptable by my standards is the official TCON-14D which is only 1.4x magnification. That limits the camera's ability to 196mm.

Every other feature seems to be excellent. The Samsung PRO815 which will be released soon will dominatethese two issues and have a massive LCD screen, but one has to wonder what will be sacrificed.

Quote:
just to clear up an issue that has been confusing me... in order to have the ISO in program auto mode set to "auto", the ISO in A,S,M will automatically have to remain at 50?
Not that I'm aware of... make sure you have "All Reset" disabled in the setup menu. I'm not near my camera now but I'll check it out later (I use ISO 50 anyway so I wouldn't have noticed if this is true.)

-Sean