Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 27, 2003, 12:12 PM   #1

Default can I use the smartmedia card from my MP3 player in my D40?

Hi there... I want to use the smartmedia card from my MP3 player in my D40 and then be able to use it again in my MP3 player.. Is this possible or once I put it in my camera and format it, will it be unusable in my MP3 player ever again??

Thanks,
M
mgazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2003, 12:19 PM   #2

I expect it should work. The SmartMedia I use in my mp3 player works in my C-4000.
tedamenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2003, 12:25 PM   #3

Default swapping smartmedia cards

did you just format it in your camera and then format it again using the MP3 player/software when returning it to your player?

I have 1 card which is panorama enabled so I don't want to swap it..the other one I have is not enabled so I would use it instead..
thanks
mgazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2003, 12:33 PM   #4

mp3 formating and digicam formatting are not compatible. The mp3 does what i think is called LOW formatting. YOu will need a software to reformatt from one to the other, or the camera will read it as incompatible. I had that problem with my oly3000 and phillips mp3 player. It took me forever to be able to use that card in my camera again.
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2003, 1:32 PM   #5

A somewhat related question: Can I use CF cards that I have formatted in my Nikon CP 950 in my Oly E20? And vice versa?
I have been afraid to try, fearing I would screw up the card and not be able to use it in either one! I've read some threads in here and elsewhere about people who got cards screwed up and couldn't even reformat them.
Bert Bigelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2003, 1:46 PM   #6
NHL

Quote:
Can I use CF cards that I have formatted in my Nikon CP 950 in my Oly E20? And vice versa?
Yes you can as long as it's fat-16 formatted. This apply to SM as well... All cameras use a DCF file system based on DOS and will keep each camera pictures in their own separate directories (the MP3 files will have its own directory):

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...560&highlight=

My MP3 (an eDigital) work interchangeably with at least three cameras that I have tried: Fuji S2, CP990 and D7 + MP3 player!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2003, 2:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Yes you can as long as it's fat-16 formatted
Thanks, NHL. I'm going to hold my breath and give it a try. I've got a little 8MB CF card that came with my 950. I think I'll use that as my "sacrificial" card. It might be FAT-12 formatted, though. We'll see. I'll post back when I've destroyed a few cards and let you know how I'm doin'
Bert Bigelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2003, 6:35 PM   #8

Default It works.

I just took the Olympus SmartMedia card out of my Olympus C-4000 Camera and plugged it into my Olympus DM-1 Digital Voice Recorder/MP3 Player. I tested both the recorder and mp3 player features. Both worked fine. I then put the card back into the camera and took a test picture. That worked as well. I never formatted the card but I did erase all of the files off of it before moving the card between devices.
tedamenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2003, 6:40 PM   #9

Many MP3 players like the Diamond Rio will corrupt the card so it isn't readable in the camera. I don't know how many times I've seen the question, "My kid used one of my cards in their MP3 player, and now the camera won't recognise it."

Just because you don't have a problem, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Many MP3 player manufacturers have utilities so you can restore you card so you can use it in the camera again.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2003, 6:48 PM   #10
NHL

Quote:
Many MP3 players like the Diamond Rio will corrupt the card so it isn't readable in the camera. I don't know how many times I've seen the question, "My kid used one of my cards in their MP3 player, and now the camera won't recognise it."

Just because you don't have a problem, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
An MP3 player is only a 'reader'! ie it plays, but it doesn't record... Put that write protect sticker on the SM card and the player will still work. It's only when one plugs the player to the PC (via a USB) then it becomes a drive... and then if one formatted the card (ie fat-32 in most Window OS), then there goes the card! It's not the MP3 player fault... Operator error mostly ops: ops: ops:

Copy songs over from a camera formatted card is perfectly kosher... Or format the card from DOS (if anyone remember this) to fix it. Remember theses flash cards are supposed to be multimedia, and not just camera specific! Anyone try them with their GPS or PDA? (really good for showing the pictures BTW) :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote