Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 27, 2003, 1:29 PM   #1

Default D40-No fill flash in shutter priority mode

Life is funny. I upgraded to a D40 from a D510 for the increased control over the camera. I did this because most of my shooting is action shots while mtn. biking at midday in the forest with the sun overhead. I was getting a lot of blurry shots with the D510 setting a slower shutter speed, in the shade of the forest. I thought the D40's shutter priority would be just the ticket and it's very compact, which is a must for biking. However, I also need fill flash, since the subject's face is in shadow with the person leaning down over the bike. Would you believe that the D40 does not allow fill flash in shutter priority mode??? It only offers slow sync. or flash off. I really want to reserve My Mode for customized settings for panoramas (res. reduced to 1600x1200,among other settings), so I don't know of a workaround for this. P mode doesn't allow shutter priority. There's no sports mode on the cam. Can anyone suggest a good workaround? Thanks, folks. Otherwise, I love this camera! What wonderful images and flexibility in a small package.
jmcdev1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2003, 3:09 PM   #2

Jeff,

Same thing on my C4000Z...on Shutter priority (or manual mode) your only flash modes are slow1, slow2, or flash off. The chart in the reference manual confirms this.

But wouldn't your slow1 setting work just fine as a fill flash?

Good luck,

stu
rych26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2003, 3:22 PM   #3

You know, I'm going to try that next time we go out riding tomorrow. I've just never used slow sync. flash and don't understand it. Time to put the cd in and read the manual . Thanks for the suggestion. That's probably it.
Old Jan 27, 2003, 3:39 PM   #4

Stu, after playing around some more, I also found that in aperture priority mode, if I use the smallest aperture (f 8 at wide angle), it forces a pretty fast shutter speed in normal light. Fill flash is availabe then. I still plan to see if slow 1 flash does the same thing. Thanks again.
Old Jan 28, 2003, 12:24 AM   #5

Hope that works out, Jeff...

I'm new to digital photography and haven't had my camera long enough to have figured it out yet...

Seems like in Shutter Priority the flash always fires, no matter what the shutter speed, so even though Slow Synch is supposed to be for slow shutter speeds, it ought to act like your fill flash at any shutter setting.

Mebbe somebody more in the know can clue us in...just what is the dif. between slow synch and fill flash if they both always fire no matter what the other settings (other than you can set slow synch to fire at the first opening of the shutter or at the close of the shutter, depending on the effects you're looking for at very long exposures...

For your purposes it shouldn't matter.

Let us know how it works.

stu
Old Jan 29, 2003, 4:01 PM   #6

Well, Stu, you were right on the money. The slow 1 flash, in shutter priority mode in the D40, gives exactly the same effect as the fill flash, in P mode. I am a very happy, new D40 owner, indeed. It's just amazing that Oly could pack all those features into such a small package! I know this probably sounds pretty ho hum to all you 5050, 4040, 4000 users out there, with even more features and better optics, but the compact size is absolutely my number one requirement. And it's so much fun to slowly get good at one feature after another, then go back and work on them all over again.
Old Jan 30, 2003, 2:25 PM   #7

Always having a good small camera with you that takes great shots and that you know how to use well will yield you a lot more wonderful pictures than a heavy professional camera with superior optics sitting at home while you are out biking without it!
Old Jan 30, 2003, 3:48 PM   #8

Thanks for the encouragement, Stu. I just joined PhotoShare so I can post some pics, get some feeback, and start learning how to improve. Great fun.