Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Sep 11, 2005, 1:29 AM   #1

(Or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Use ISO 400)

Lots has been said about how noisy they can be, and I'd admit that for a long time I hardly went above ISO 200. Anyways, the past months I've started to try out ISO 400, and I'm actually quite pleased with the results; prints up to 5x7 are great, and even 8x10 cropped (as these are) are very nice in reality.

I usually set the in-camera processing to -1, and do PP with PSE, or in a real hurry as in this case, Picassa's just fine. Did not (have not tried) do any noise removal s/w. EXIF data is retained. JPG artifacts from compression, and I actually sharpend the 1st and 3rd pic.

13mm, f/3.5, 1/160

Attached Images

core is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2005, 1:31 AM   #2

Another one ... good 'ol Mid-West County Fair Action.

8mm, f/3.2, 1/13
Attached Images

Old Sep 11, 2005, 1:33 AM   #3

Would I like ISO 800 and 1600 or up? You bet! For now the 7070's been a great carry around camera. fwiw I upped the saturation in the shots PP.

6mm, f/2.8, 1/60
Attached Images

Old Sep 11, 2005, 10:30 AM   #4

Core-

Many thanks for sharing some wonderful photos with us. The look great. Did you use neat image or noise nija?

Also which camera was it. Perhaps a C-8080?

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 11:43 AM   #5

Camera's the C-7070; I did NOT use any noise reduction s/w (Neat Image, Noise Ninja, etc) - shots are from the camera, post processed using only Picassa2 (I click the "I'm feeling button", push up the Saturation (default setting or less), and for shots #1 and #3 I actually selected the auto-sharpen (which increases the overall 'noise') - then exported to 1024 width with 60% compression. That said, if you go pixel peeping, they are noisy - but resized for screen/posting/email and printing, I have not found the default noise to be objectional. Thanks for the comments!
Old Sep 12, 2005, 7:40 PM   #6

real nice pics, Core.* where's this fair at?* *Dick
Whisperin Squash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2005, 9:59 PM   #7

Core -

I've got to say that I really enjoyed looking at your pictures of the county fair. You really captured the county fair flavor.

We are ofter our own worse critics.But... you hit the nail on the head with your pictures and comments. You like them and in my mind, that's what really counts.I've been shooting with an Oly C-730, a 3 meg'r, for the last two and a half years, and I'm lovin' it! I've added a couple of add-on lenses and print via an ancient HP-895. Could it be better? Equipment wise, of course, but I like my Oly and it works well for me.

Keep the wonderful pictures coming.

Regards,

Paul in NoVA
C-730 B-300 WCON-07
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stoney_g
plg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 11:31 PM   #8

Thanks much again for the comments and encouragements! fwiw pictures taken at Cleveland County Fair, in Norman, Oklahoma. Not exactly "small town" though, but surrounding farms/etc bring in the flavor. There are couple of towns just a little furtheraway with population in the 100's or ~2,000 or so - events and fairs there have a whole other charm of their own (will have pics someday).

Here are a couple more, this time the shots are STRAIGHT from the camera with no Post Processing other than straighteningand crop/resize for posting.

7mm (35mm efl), f/2.8, 1/50

Attached Images

Old Sep 14, 2005, 11:35 PM   #9

There were water-misters to keep the humidity high for the show, hence the 'fuzzyness' around the lights.

6mm (28mm efl), f/2.8, 1/15
Attached Images