Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 29, 2003, 1:42 PM   #1

Default C-2100 filters???

Hi,
While I'm waiting for my C-2100 to arrive would you suggest my getting a UV filter and the polarizing filter for it, if so, any special brand???
This is my first dig cam plus I have not taken pictures in years.

Thanks,
DesertRat
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2003, 4:19 PM   #2

DesertRat

Congrads on your C2100. Talk to folks at www.2filter.com. They can provide you with adapter tube and filters you will need. I like the adapter tube with a 52mm thread. You can find this size filter in most camera stores also.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2003, 5:38 PM   #3

Does the C-2100 need a tube to attach a filter? I thought you can just screw on a 49mm filter right to the end of the lens with the C-2100.

I know other cameras like the C-700 with a retractable lens require a tube, but not the fixed lens C-2100.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2003, 6:01 PM   #4

Mike

You are correct. The thread screws are 49mm. www.2filter.com sells the 49mm filters. I am not sure how easy the 49mm filters are to come by at local photo stores.
Old Jan 29, 2003, 6:15 PM   #5
r-w

C-2100 will take a 49mm filter. They say that a linear polarizer causes problems with a digicam but I used a linear(as opposed to a circular)polarizer on my c2100 and never realized any problems with auto foucus or exposure. A circular polarizer is much more $$
r-w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2003, 6:25 PM   #6

Linear polarizers only have trouble with some digital SLRs as well as some modern electronic SLRs...linear polarizers are fine though for Oly C-series digitals.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2003, 7:45 PM   #7

Hi Bob, I was just thinking that you should be getting your camera about now!
I bought a set of filters at Circuit City for mine and they seem to work just fine.
They are Tiffen 49 mm UV and a Circular polarizer. They come as set for $19.95. I leave the UV on all the time to protect the UZI lens.
Also check out the leather Olympus carrying case for the C-2100 at Olympus Emporium. It's a close out for $19.95! I ordered one because I have read post's that said they are nice.
Good Luck and e-mail me if I can help you when you get your new "baby"!
Bob W R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2003, 9:05 PM   #8

Default Thanks to all

Thanks to everyone that has replied to my post. I have not found a way to post back to an individual, I know it's something very simple and right in front of me, but????

Regards,
DesertRat
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2003, 8:22 AM   #9
lg

I'd recommend a circular polarizing filter for removing glare from objects and for deepening the blue sky. A UV filter may be desirable to protect the lens. If you are stacking more than one filter, please note that you will get some slight vignetting at 38mm at the corners. Thin filters may be desirable if you go this route.

Leaving the polarizing filter on the camera all the time will cause you to lose about 1 F-stop, so remember to remove it when shooting indoors or low light situations!
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2003, 9:27 AM   #10

DesertRat

Click the PM button to send a personal message to those who accept PM.