Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Sep 17, 2005, 7:22 PM   #1

I am very impressed with the picture quality, features and ergonomics of the 8080. I'm in the market for a zoom (at least 8x) and was wondering about the options for conversion lenses. Sarah Joyce mentioned in a previous post that the Oly doubler for this camera is not great. I recently stumbled upon a picture in another forum that got me wondering if there are third party conversion lenses available, and if so, has anyone here used them?

http://www.network54.com/Forum/messa...eid=1125518094
B1ue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2005, 10:30 PM   #2

B1ue-

All I could find at www.fanotec.com was just a singular mention of the SD-300. There was no link to any other information.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2005, 3:23 AM   #3

Yes, Fanotec seems to just make accessory hardware. I was actually wondering about the long lens in the picture. Curious about the specs and manufacturer.
B1ue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2005, 3:49 AM   #4

The product they are showing is simply a bracket to attach the Olympus TCON-300 lens to a camera it was not designed for (the C-8080).

I am very interested in this. By "interested" I mean "The first person to offer me one for anything less than my left arm has a deal."

Anyone know where to get it?
Vlad the Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2005, 5:01 AM   #5

Olympus has the TCON-300S on their ebay aucions every now and then ... eg, there's one now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/OLYMPUS-TCON-300...QQcmdZViewItem

Oh, and you want even more reach? (600mm f/3.5 on the 8080, if you can get it to fit ...):

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/e10/tcon-300-14b.html
core is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2005, 7:46 AM   #6

I saw that page a few weeks ago. Seems the 1.45x lens degrades quality more than the 3x lens. It's easy to see the difference in optic quality. Still, better than digital zoom, and pretty impressive.

I e-mailed the guy who apparently makes these brackets, so I hope I'm able to get ahold of one.High quality 420mm f/3.5 on the C-8080 would be a dream come true.

Anyone have the normal bracket (designed for the E-10/E-20) and able to see just what will happen if it's attempted to fit onto the C-8080? Is it a complete mismatch, or can it be made workable?
Vlad the Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 8:18 AM   #7

Hello,

I know where to getthese support arms and I already have one. They are awesome! Please email me for more information. I have personally used Fanotec's SA-300 custom made support arm to allow attachment of the mighty Olympus 3x TCON-300 lens to the C-8080WZ and it works quite well. It takes a little practice but after a while you can get great shots using either AF, MF, or a combo. It works bestfor nature photography in bright sunlight using ISO50 but can also handle cloudy at ISO100 and some low light conditions using a tripod in ISO200. Generally speaking, for 420mm it is recommended you set the camera for about 1/420sec or faster for handheld (HH) work at 420mm. This 3x setup works much better than the Raynox DCR-2020PRO 2.2x which I also have. The Raynox setup vignettes severely at all zoom settings, has less magnification, has out of focus image corners, and doesn't look as impressive as the Olympus setup. Please view my sample image taken using the C-8080WZ + TCON-300 + SA-300. I took that handheld shot and it is minimally processed. It is basically straight out of the camera just downsized to 800x600 to fit filesize requirements by this site. If anyone would like to seelarger samples (1600x1200 is my favorite size), email me and I can send some to you. I have many other pictures too and will be taking plenty more. If you love the quality of your C-8080WZ but are frustrated with only 140mm like I was, this setup is a great solution to get 3x or even 5x more magnification with Olympus quality! The 5x requires the use of an Olympus TCON-17 1.7x lens stacked in front of the TCON-300 using a 49mm to 55mm step up ring. I will post a few of those shots too when I get them. I already tested it and it works well I just can't locate my step up ring to take more pics. Note with the 5x "booster"lens setupwould be 714mm optical and if you crop from 3264x2448 (8MP) to to 2304x1728 (about 4MP), you can effectively get about 1000mmwhich on an 8MP digicam is very impressive.

Attached Images

herbsbuddy@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote