Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 30, 2003, 9:05 PM   #1

Default Compact Flash for C-5050

I was thinking of getting a 512MB Compact Flash card to Transfer images over from my xD Cards since the xD Cards are supposed to be faster for taking pictures.

CompUSA has a SimpleTech Brand 512MB CF Card for $149.99 after Rebate plus Tax and Shipping extra.

Is the Olympus C-5050 Camera fast enough to really take advantage of the Faster Transfer rates on the more $$$$ expensive CF Cards?

The SimpleTech Card is rated at only 1.5Mb per sec with a burst rate to 8Mb. According to what I have read the more $$$$ Cards are much faster.

I figured that if I am just using the CF Card for Image Storage SPEED would not be a factor.

If anyone out there has any input I would appreciate the feedback.

Thanks

TheOnlyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2003, 3:41 PM   #2

i am using a 128 mb xD for shooting and will buy a microdrive for storage- they are cheaper than cf cards at 1 gig.
I figured, i will not need to use more than 128 mgs at a time , so why spend the cash for the faster cards? (i just realised this as an advantage of the 5050 over cf-specific cameras).
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2003, 6:20 PM   #3

Thanks for the Input.

I thought 1GB Microdrives are going for about $210 and the 512MB CF Cards for $150 on Special.
I think the Microdrive consumes more power and tends to be more sensative than CF Cards.

Any thought out there on Microdrives verses High Cap CF Cards???

Thanks

TheOnlyOne
TheOnlyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2003, 2:10 AM   #4

The Microdrives are power hogs, and they are more sensitive to shock, so you could damage it if you bump the camera when it's on. I don't leave mine in the camera. I do all my shooting with 128MB SMs, and if I'm traveling and can't upload them to the computer, I stick the MD in and transfer the images to the MD in the evening, clear the SMs, remove the MD, and I'm ready to go the next day.
Bert Bigelow is offline   Reply With Quote