Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Sep 29, 2005, 9:47 PM   #1

Just as I was getting interested in buying one of these fantastic looking cameras, it looks like Olympus discontinued the model, along with the C-8080. It seems like supplies are getting low on this camera and I don't know how much time I have to get one. I don't like making spur of the moment decisions or being "pushed" into purchases.

What do you think Olympus will replace the C-7070 with? I read online somewhere that the SP series of cameras is to replace the C series. Does anything in the near future look like a promising substitute for the C-7070?
Nizidramanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2005, 6:17 AM   #2

I was wondering the same thing. I emailed Olympus but I don't know if they will get back to me with any info.
guitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 11:54 AM   #3

I just got off of the phone with Olympus Customer Service, they are not very knowledgeable, but this is what I fould out, the C series are all being phased out and the replacement is the S. There is no current wide angle S, but there may be, they said would but I am not certain they really are well informed...the S are about the same size but lighter, at least that is what this person had to say.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 12:50 PM   #4

Thanks for the info guitone. I'm not extremely impressed with the S series and the C-series is very well liked. I have no idea why they would decide to phase out a great camera series. I understand that you can save money by producing a smaller variety of products, but it seems like cutting some of your best cameras would hurt the company more than anything.
Nizidramanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2005, 1:02 PM   #5

I came late to the party and just found out about the 7070, but I just started looking a few weeks ago, my transition from film (an old holdout)..anyway, I want a wide angle lens and a smaller camera, so the Canon S60 looks like the winner, even with 5mp, I don't see any real reason to go to the 70.....hope I am right.
Old Sep 30, 2005, 1:13 PM   #6

guitone wrote:
Quote:
knowledgeable, but this is what I fould out, the C series are all being phased out and the replacement is the S. There is no current wide angle S, but there may be, they
Talk about a major downgrade :sad:

I picked up the 7070 when it got down to a low of $350, and was debating getting the 8080 ... now that the remaining 8080's are back up in the $650 and up (perhaps still a good deal considering the remarkable build and picture quality (given the sensor)), went the E-300 route (that's going to be dropped to, from what I've heard).

Rather sad that Oly's decided to drastically lower their qaulity digicams.
core is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 10:56 PM   #7

According to Olympus America, the C5500, the C7000, and the C7070 remain in the C-series.

The C50 and C60 werereplaced by the SP310 & SP350. And the C765 & C770 werereplaced byfor the SP500.

No word on a C8080 replacement; but it's no secret that the C8080 was taking sales and profitsaway from the E-300 Evolt. I suspect that the new E-500 is actually the replacement for the C8080. They are trying to make the C8080 photographer shift into dSLRs.

I'm just glad I own a C8080. It's a definite long-term keeper. But I will think about the SP500 as a replacement for my old Ultrazoom, and the E-500 will be a consideration as a dSLR purchase.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 7:22 PM   #8

We've been through most of the C-series - starting with the 3030, 5050, then the 8080 which we love, but alas, not exactly something to put in the purse or pocket. When the 7070 came out, our 5050 had died and so we bought one of those too. It has the excellent color quality of the 3030 as well as most of the wonderful features of the 8080 - best of all, it has an optical viewfinder (a major drawback of the 8080 which does not have one and the LDC screen is less than great).

I'd say the 7070 is the best of the bunch at this point - nice size, easy to use, perfect photos and wide angle which we also love. If you can still get one, I'd recommend it!

We are now hoping the SP-350 reviews are good since our C-50 is about to wear out.

(yes, we take A LOT of photos related to our businesses!)
scubamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 10:29 PM   #9

There are still C-8080's on e-bay ocassionally. That was a fantastic digital camera. Please give me a minute of your attention. Olympus has to move forward rather quickly if they are going to stay alive financially.

It was very important indeed that they just received a "highly recommended" from www.dpreview.com o the E-500. It is indeed a fight for survival. I for one am rooting for Olympus!

Sarah Joyce

P.S. I am about to sell my C-8080, so I can purchase a new E-500. I have faith!
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2005, 7:03 AM   #10

I purchased the SP500 yesterday (replaced my C730 after years of faithful service) and I'm looking forward to heading out this afternoon and breaking it in.
suzilem is offline   Reply With Quote