Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Sep 30, 2005, 8:20 PM   #1

I do real estate photography. I have used a Fuji S7000 and was happy with it, except for two issues. One, the narrow lens, two, a rosy tint to interior photos, even when adjusting the WB.

I purchased a refurb Olympus 8080 from Beach Camera. Practiced with it in my spare time (which is just about nil). It took me some time to get used to the controls. Have done several jobs with it, forcing myself. I use the EV, because of battery conservation and the comfort of using the EV. I shoot in Manual, and cannot get it right! The auto review of the shot will look excellent in the EV, vibrant colors and great exposure. Look at the LCD moniter, and it is completely washed out, as the image is on the computer moniter.

Talked to Olympus and they told me the camera is meant to be used with the LCD. I don't want to use it! They said the EV can't be adjusted to reflect the actual image. Is this true? Does anyone know of a way to have the EV reflect a true image? If not, I will be selling it for a good price. I purchased a Quantum Polarizing Filter and two extra, non-Olympus, batteries.

BTW, I have owned two other Olympus digitals and have been happy with them.

ps34109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2005, 9:19 PM   #2

Go ahead and leave both LCD's on ... the battery life on the 8080 is extremely good, even with both displays on. If you check DPReview, the 8080 has the longest tested battery life.

You did not give any info wrt to what mode your shots are are, metering, etc, etc. You might want to reset the camera to default and shoot with P-mode. Try with and without flash. If you're shooting towards a window with daylight outside, you can either use fill in flash, spot meter on an interior, or meter the inside wall and lock the exposure (AEL).

So, what's a "good price"?
core is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2005, 9:41 AM   #3

I can get a great shot, but only if I use the LCD to judge. I would need to wear reading glasses to see the screen well, and I don't want to do that. I am going to list on Ebay for $475 with filter and extra batteries.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 10:35 PM   #4

ps34109 wrote:
Quote:
I can get a great shot, but only if I use the LCD to judge. I would need to wear
Something's amiss ... you can get a good shot, or should I say the SAME shot using either EVF or LCD. Rest of info is in my previous post. The 8080's a great camera and takes great pictures. Are you using it in Manual mode?
Old Oct 2, 2005, 8:33 AM   #5

As I said in my original post, I shoot in manual. The image in the EV is so far off the image in the LCD, and as Olympus told me, cannot beadjusted. My Fuji S7000 also has a difference in the EV image vs. the LCD, but the difference is very slight.
Old Oct 2, 2005, 10:34 AM   #6

ps34109 wrote:
Quote:
As I said in my original post, I shoot in manual. The image in the EV is so far off the i
My apologies :-)

Any reason you want to shoot in manual mode and not A/S/P? (esp.ifhave to force yourself to use the camera) It might save you alot of grief. The EVF on the 8080 'gains-up' to maintain visibility of the subject matter; iirc you should be able to use the AEL button and preview the final output on the EVF. And as mentioned, try using use flash, and Fill-In when shoot against windows.

fwiw here are some interior construction photos from a 7070 in P mode (see EXIF data for exposure info).

With flash, no EV compensation:

Attached Images

Old Oct 2, 2005, 10:36 AM   #7

No flash, with +1 EV. When you know that you'll be shooting against bright background you can do some EV compensation.

If you're going to shoot M mode, there are several options. Using ESP or CW, make sure that youhave the meter centered, and then according to the scene (ie, again is there any significant back light), adjust exposure up or down 2/3 to 1 stop. Practice to get a gauge of when you need to do this. You can also try spot metering on an interior portion of the subject that you know you want to be exposed properly, but this is much trickier. Finally, if there is just too much contrast, you might have to use fill-in flash.

I'm assuming "washed-out" either means only narrow mid-tones, no contrast, and/or exposure got tricked by some outside lighting and washed out the picture. How about posting a sample? imo the 8080 is a great camera, and a real waste if you've decided to part with it.

fwiw, both shots are straight from the camera, with resize only.

Attached Images

Old Oct 3, 2005, 10:33 PM   #8

Hey ps34109: A couple of observations and questions from a C8080 owner:

1: Why are you shooting in manual mode? And when in manual mode, are you paying attention to the colors of the settings. The C8080 will shoot at whatever you tell it to in manual mode, but it warns you when exposure is off, if some of the settings appear in red instead of green or black. But the camera is so good with the P, A, and S modes, that manual is only needed for very few photo situations. (I always use the EVF, because Idon't need my reading glasses as when I'm using the LCD. I use the LCD for macro shoots, or other odd positions where the EVF is not convenient, and to review photos.)

2: The photos from the C8080 are outstanding. If you are getting bad photos, one would suspect thatyou have not really learned the proper operation of the camera. There is a reason that the camera manual is over 220 pages. The C8080 is not designed to get the best out of it without studying the manual.

You are shortchanging yourself to spend so little time learning the camera. If you went from an automatic Toyota Corollato a six speed Corvette, it would not be the Corvette's fault if you have a hard time getting a smooth start and keep spinning the wheels.

However, if you don't feel you have the time to learn, then sell the camera. It is too good to not be used right.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 11:46 PM   #9

I have already sold the camera on EBay. And, I don't know how to make this any more clear. I can get great shots from this camera by using the LCD screen. I DID NOT WANT TO USE IT BECAUSE I HAD TO USE READING GLASSES TO SEE THE SCREEN CLEARLY.With the EV, I could adjust the diopter for my vision.I would shoot, then I would have to view the recorded image on the LCD to see if I needed to change settings. The EVDID NOT give me a true view of the recorded image.The problem is not the camera, but with my vision. Sorry if I have not explained this clearly.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 9:56 AM   #10

Well, all the best with your next camera then - and remember to try P mode with EV compensation +/- depending on situation (or auto bracketing helps too). Mostall camera's metering system theses days are pretty good and you should get great results from default settings in P mode, whereas in M mode any metering issues depends on the user's choice. (iirc Oly's ESP is geared toward high contrast/light difference scenes.