Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 26, 2006, 4:07 PM   #11

Hello all,

I use one of these custom support arms to allow a 3x TCON-300 lens to attach to a C-8080WZ and it worksgreat! Having an extra 3x on the C-8080WZ is like a dream come true. Also for those telephoto junkies, you can even stack a TCON-17 in front of the TCON-300 for over 5x total additional external magnification. That would be714mm optical which you can easily crop to 1000mm effective (see sample 1000mm EFL image). Just email me if you want more information. I have seen these support armslisted on Ebay recently and I highly recommend getting one. Just search for C-8080 arm or C-8080 TCON-300. There is no significant vignetting for normal shots but if you point it at the sky for example, you will see some dropoff (mild darkening) in the corners. This is normal because the E-10/E-20 with the TCON-300 does the same thing and the TCON-300 was designed specifically for those 2 cameras. Since the E-10/E-20, and C-8080WZ all max out at 140mm optical, it makes sense that the TCON-300 would behave similarly on all of them. Also, this custom support arm (properly called the SA-300) allows retention of a filter on your C-8080's main lens. This will keepit protected when the 3x lens is removed. The Olympus support arms cannot do that. There are plenty of standard size threaded holes on the bottom of the support arm for mounting a custom battery pack, flash bracket, and for a tripod. If you have a C-8080WZ and are in desperate need of more magnification, this is the way to go. 3x is a huge improvement and with 5.1x potential and manual focus capability, you will have many more shooting options than just the native C-8080WZ. Autofocus works well too but I like to use a combination of manual and auto. It is a lot of fun. I hope you enjoy my 1000mm EFL picture.

Attached Images

herbsbuddy@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 8:44 AM   #12

Hello again,

Here is another handheld shot I took using the TCON-300 + TCON-17 in front of the C-8080WZ with the help of the SA-300 custom support bracket. The ducks were about 100 ft. away. With the 5.1x optical boost and some cropping, even far away subjects seem easily within reach. I'll try to get some moon shots for my next posting both at 3x and 5.1x boost although someone else earlier in this discussion has already posted a 3x moonshot.
Attached Images

herbsbuddy@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote