Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Feb 4, 2003, 6:33 PM   #1

Default I need C-2100uz buying advice

I have learned so much from these boards, enough to know I just HAVE to own an UZi for myself. The problem is, all of the reputable online shops are out of them, and brick and mortar stores in my area haven't had them in in ages. I'm a little nervous about buying such an expensive item through ebay, with little or no recourse if something is wrong. I'd like to get by with spending around $400-$450 for the basic camera. Is anyone out there able to help me track one down? Anyone upgrading to higher pixels willing to part with their old one? I'll pay more for lenses and other extras, of course!
artshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2003, 8:52 PM   #2

They have some in stock at this web site. I do not know anything about the web site:

http://www.refurbdepot.com/productde...roduct_ID=1426
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2003, 10:53 PM   #3
lg

I wouldn't shy away from the refurbished cameras on eBay. If you want to make certain, just ask for the serial number and check with Olympus to verify that it has a 90-day factory warranty. Then you can rest assured that what you are purchasing will be backed by the manufacturer.

There's a lot of retailers who do business on eBay. Often you can contact them directly by phone or email-- that's what I did last year to purchase a second unit (refurbished).
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2003, 7:08 AM   #4

Which is better, refurbished, or lightly used?
Old Feb 5, 2003, 7:45 AM   #5

It is difficult question to answer. I have a C4040 which is heavly used but would be a great buy if I were to sell it on Ebay. I have always taken very good care of my camera. I have sold several cameras over Ebay and the buyers received great cameras.

Factor refurbished means that Olympus has check the camera, updated the firmware, and provide a 90 day warranty.

Refurbished should be better.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2003, 8:04 AM   #6
lg

If there's nothing wrong with the camera, and it doesn't break during the warranty period, then there's absolutely no difference. Just consider that until the warranty period expires (usually 90 days), you have a "fix it for free" card from Olympus for refurbished units. Buying a used camera, you will have to pay for the repair if it breaks. If price is the same, I'd buy refurbished. The Olympus repair department will quote you a maximum repair price for any of their cameras. I'm not sure what it is for the UZI, but compare the value of this to the probability that a used camera will break in the next 90 days and make your best choice.

"Lightly used" may be a perfectly good camera. If no guarantee or warranty is offered, I'd ask why. When I sell something on eBay, I try to offer a "5 day moneyback guarantee, less fees and shipping."

Ask the seller these type questions:

Is the camera in perfect working condition?

Why are you selling the camera?

These items are included with a new C-2100 camera for sale in the US; are any items missing?
- camera
- lens cap
- camera strap
- Camedia 2.0 software
- Olympus charger w/ 4 Olympus brand 1600maH NimH AA batteries
- A/C cord for charger
- USB cable
- NTSC A/V cable
- RM-1 remote
- Olympus US warranty (may have expired)
- 8MB Olympus brand SmartMedia card

If you were buying the camera, is there anything you would want to know about it that you haven't advertised in the description?

If you get the answer you are expecting from the above list, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used camera IF I couldn't find a refurbished unit for the same price.

Check the COMPLETED auctions on eBay to find out what price the camera is bringing, so that you don't pay too much...Happy UZI hunting, and if you need any more info, just let me know...
Old Feb 5, 2003, 10:46 AM   #7

WHOOHOO! I am now the propud owner of this baby!!!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...004515941&rd=1

I talked the seller into ending the auction early and letting my bid win!!!!!!!!!

It was great to have the list from above to check the contents. He wasn't getting any bids because of being a first time seller, but after speaking with him on the phone, I found that he had been buying only Olympus cameras since he was 4 years old, and he just bought an E10 and his wife made him sell this to help pay for it. It sounds like it was very well taken care of. I think I did good! now I will be eagerly waiting for the delivery like a new mom.

Now one last question... I have been offered some optional items by a seller of a C-2100 that I had bid on a few days ago, and they pulled the auction when they just just couldn't part with it. Are these good items to have? Is this a good deal for them?

Digital Wallet, and seven 49mm filters (Moose's Warm(81A) Polarizing filter, Promaster ND4X neutral density filter, Hoya Skylight (1A), Hoya R(25A) red, Rollei GELB-Mittel yellow, Osawa G58 green, and HOYA Close-Up #4).
@ $175 for the lot.
Old Feb 5, 2003, 11:20 AM   #8

Ok, now they've upped the ante by offering the items mentioned above PLUS these: Sony 1.4X teleconverter, the Sony 2X teleconverter, and the Yashicor wide angle converter for $260, including shipping and insurance.
I don't want to pass up a great opportunity, but I am still too uneducated to know about the quality or usefulness of these items. HELP!!!
Old Feb 5, 2003, 11:11 PM   #9
lg

Sue, if you got your used UZI for $400, it looks like you got a very good deal; if you got it for the original offer of $350, then you are a really sharp negotiator! I know you will enjoy your camera...now on to your question regarding the add-ons:

All I've got in the way of add-ons as far as filters is a polarizing filter to remove glare and/or deepen the blue sky and a UV filter to protect the lens from accidental damage. Most of the filters being offered are pretty much for creative photography, and I probably would use most of them very little.

Lenses: I have a WCON-08E .8x wide angle lens, which will allow you the equivalent of about a 30.5mm view on your camera. It is extremely clear, has no vignetting, and no perceivable parallax distortion. I am waiting on funds to purchase a B-300 1.7x telephoto, the sharpest and brightest lens that I am aware of for your camera. Both require a 49-55mm step-up ring. It should cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $300-350 to purchase both of these, for price comparison purposes.

I can't offer any input of the quality or fitness of the Sony lenses, but I am sure someone out there may be able to assist you. The sharpness of the lens, how much it reduces the light, chromatic aberration, and vignetting are issues that affect overall picture quality. If anyone can comment on these, I'm sure that Sue would be beholding to you!

My gut instinct says to hold off until you figure out how you will be using your camera before investing a lot of money in extras that may be unsuit for your needs. That's my two cents' worth, so what do the rest of you think?
Old Feb 9, 2003, 9:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonpd3620
They have some in stock at this web site. I do not know anything about the web site:

http://www.refurbdepot.com/productde...roduct_ID=1426
Ouch!!! $549.00 is pretty steep for a refurb uzi. I found one site that sold it for $399.00. I'll post it as soon as I find it.
gmlasam is offline   Reply With Quote