Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Oct 14, 2005, 11:21 PM   #1

The C-8080 was one of the most sucessful of the 8mp digital cameras that came our way in early 2004. With Olympus already on a slippery slope, isn't it time that we heard even a murmur about a C-8080 replacement? Some have said the Spring of 2006.

What do you think, know, or have heard.

A Dedicated C-8080 Owner
ultrazoom22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2005, 2:11 AM   #2

I think that the camera manufacturers who actually make DSLR's, and lenses, are trying to push us to buy DSLR's, as opposed to pricey fixed-lens Prosumers, so that they can benefit from lens sales.¬* This is why we are only seeing contenders for the prosumer fixed-lens market from SamSung, Panasonic, and Sony.¬* Now that Panny and SamSung have formed alliances with Oly and Pentax, I expect to see less Prosumers, and more DSLR's.NB
nellybly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2005, 10:17 AM   #3

Nellybly-

You certainly may an excellent point. There is a definite trend toward dSLR cameras. Perhaps Olympus has too many irons in the fire with the introduction of the E-500.

Ultra
Old Oct 15, 2005, 6:47 PM   #4

I think Nellybly hit it right on the head. I had some prior info that some depts at Olympus felt that the C8080 was hurting sales of the more profitable E-300. When the bean counters start complaining, watch out for more emphasis on the most profitable items.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2005, 10:04 PM   #5

Steven-

It is sad to say it, but I believe that you are entirely correct. The C-8080 was just too good. But it did not turn as great a profit as the E-300 or the E-500. The change in the way Olympus distributes their cameras, via costco, walmart, and the big retailersis also at fault, as Olympus continues to go down the tubes.

Unless something develops, Olympus, IMHO, is headed for their financial end.

Ultra
Old Oct 16, 2005, 11:57 AM   #6

I believe my next camera will be a DSLR.¬* I have 3 cameras now, and when Oly stops repairing them, all of that good glass will be wasted.¬* At least with the DSLR you get to keep the glass to use with a more modern body.¬*¬*I hope that the new liquid lens technology will help provide us Ultrzoomers with a smaller package to carry around, though ;-)NB
Old Oct 16, 2005, 9:55 PM   #7

Nellybly-

It is not truly an Olympus C-8080 replacement. But with the rapidly falling prices, the Olympus E-300 two lens kit is the biggest bargain, price-wise on the planet.

Ultra
Old Oct 17, 2005, 12:11 AM   #8

It sure is, till you get into buying more lenses!¬* Have you seen the prices on those babies, and figured out what it would cost to get a lens comparable to the¬* lenses that come with the C-8080, or C-5050, or even the pre-DSLR E series cameras?Ouch,NB
Old Oct 17, 2005, 9:44 AM   #9

NB-

That is why I posted my impression that the E-300 two lens kit was such a bargain. Those two lenses will cover a 35mm equivalent focal length of 28mm to 300mm, without havng to purchase any additional lenses.

Ultra