Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Feb 7, 2003, 8:13 PM   #1

Default Circular Polarizing Lens re use with C2100UZ

Hi All...

With reference to the polerising lens it feely rotates and has one white calibration mark on its circumference. Thru these boards I have learned its uses, but hints a tips would be appreciated re the best times and situations. Also what is the above described mark for?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers &...
Geordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2003, 12:05 AM   #2
r-w

I used to have a c-2100 and used the less expensive linear polarizer with no trouble. I now have a c5050 and picked up a tiffen circ.polarizer and seem to get same results. When using a polarizer it is easy to see the effects of how it reduces reflection in glass. When you turn it and look at the viewfinder you can see the reflection come and go. That is a bonus on your c-2100 as the small viewer (efv) shows actual through the lens. That's really handy in bright sunlight as it's harder to see this on the bigger lcd.

As for darkening blue skies and adding contrast to clouds and enhancing saturation the same applies. If you watch your shutter speed as you turn the polarizer, you'll notice more effect as the shutter speed slows down. At the full polarizing effect you should require at least a full stop of exposure compensation. Also, keep in mind that the effect on the sky is greater as the sun becomes more at a right angle to your shot. You will notice less effect shooting at the sun or when it is behind you.

Everyone has always asked why my holiday "snaps" always look more dramatic than theirs. Not because I have a fancy shmancy camera. It's because of the polarizer. Years ago I shot a lot of transperency( 35mm kodachrome) and man, you really noticed the effects of a polarizer. I can't understand people who say it's a waste using filters on your digital image. Years ago we didn't have Photoshop. I'd rather be out taking pictures on a nice day...not sitting at the computer trying to edit in effects that never really look as good as manipulating through the lens. A polarizer is a great investment.
r-w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2003, 5:03 PM   #3

Thanks RW, tis one great big help. Ps I dont have photo shop just PSpro. Which has its limitations.

Cheers &...
Geordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2003, 6:22 PM   #4
lg

Experiment with it to see how it works; you will find that for deepening a blue sky it works best when the sun is behind you. Look for a reflected image in a glass window you are shooting through, and position yourself where the glare is the worst. Then, rotate the filter until it removes the maximum amount of glare. Glare reflected from non-metallic objects is also greatly reduced with this filter. As for the mark, I would speculate that it has to do with the point of maximum effect; perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I can tell you for sure.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote