Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Feb 7, 2003, 8:56 PM   #1

Default Olympus C5050 Information

Hello,

Have just joined the Forum.I'm from Australia and interested in buying an Olympus C5050.
I've researched our local prices,and they appear quite high compared to overseas.
I was wondering if anyone could please advise on reputable outlets who sell internationally at good prices.
At the same time I would appreciate any assistance on the pitfalls (if any)on buying overseas.
Would there be a problem with Warranty? A representive from Olympus (Australia) stated that only cameras purchased within Australia carried a Warranty.Is a Warranty really necessary?
It is interesting that FujiFilm recognise an International Warranty.
Many thanks.I would appreciate any help. Warm Regards.
Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2003, 9:37 AM   #2

Don

Warranty issue first: Olympus will warranty the camera if bought in the US. You will have to ship the camera to the US for any warranty repair.

You can check prices for the C5050 at www.dealtime.com. This site provides pricing and vendor ratings. The problem will be finding a vendor that will sell overseas.

Phil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2003, 1:27 AM   #3

You will be gambling that the camera arrives ok and won't break down in the forseeable future. They don't use any styrofoam padding in the camera box. Just cut cardboard pieces. So it's less well protected from rough handling, IMO.

Besides having no warranty, you will need to research the costs of the exchange rate, the amount of import duty you will have to pay, and the price of shipping to see if it's worth it. Only if the savings are a large amount would it be worth taking the gamble, IMHO.

Another thing: The battery charger works with either 110v or 220v, but if you buy the camera from North America, you will be getting a battery charger with flat prongs on the plug. If Australia uses the European type you'll have to buy a plug adapter.

Also, the AV out is probably NTSC, so you won't be able to hook the camera up to a TV if you buy it from North America.
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2003, 4:53 AM   #4

Default C5050 Information

Hello,
Many thanks for your replies.you have convinced me.I am now buying locally. I am at the moment finalizing a sale for a C4000 at a very good price.
Thanks again.
Regards,
Don
Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2003, 10:16 PM   #5

Sorry if I rained on your parade, mate.
I was wrong about one thing, as it turns out: The 5050 supports both PAL and NTSC video output. I just learned that today.
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2003, 10:50 PM   #6

C-4000 is a superb camera. You won't be sorry with your decision.

If I may offer one piece of unsolicited advice :lol: : read the 240+ page Reference Manual in PDF format that's in the CD-ROM. It's a very good guide to using the camera.

Good luck!
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote