Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Feb 8, 2003, 4:57 PM   #1

Default Thanks Fenlander!!

I just wanted to give a quick thank you to fenlander for givng out the tools for making non Olympus brand smartmedia have the "panorama" feature. I just did two 128 Sandisk smartmedia cards and they work great in my Olympus C4000Z.
Kanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2003, 8:04 PM   #2

Kanji,

You're welcome. Thanks, however, are mainly due to Robert Haus who published this fix in exemplary detail on his geocities website.

fenlander
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2003, 8:38 PM   #3

Hi fenlander, could you post the direcions for putting the panorama feature on other SM cards.. :P
Greybird
Greybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2003, 5:15 AM   #4

Greybird,

Robert Haus's explanation is at http://www.geocities.com/roberthaus/pan/

I posted the edited files he describes at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/fenlander/smprep.zip

Please note: the instructions and files apply to Zio and zio-clone SM readers: other readers may not provide the same results. Don't experiment on your new 128Mb card!

fenlander
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2003, 8:51 PM   #5

fenlander is right, of course. I purchased a "ZIO" smartmedia reader on ebay along with an 8mb disk for very little. I simply used fenlander's exe files to test on the inexpensive card and then went to work on the 128mb cards. You will get the "CSI"(I believe it is) error,but go on and run the second execute file and things come out o.k. You can make your own files using the procedure on the web page,but if using the "ZIO" make of reader/writer, why go to all that trouble when fenlander has provided us with the files already?
Kanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2003, 9:25 PM   #6
r-w

I tried it on my oldest sm cards and can't seem to find any fault or errors. As well, it seems that the panorama files can be transferred over to the CF and transferred in to camedia 4 and then stitched without a problem. I believe the card functions perfectly in all other respects.
Beats paying $30 more for an Oly card. I thought I read a negative comment about "hacked" sm cards on this forum a while back. Are there any drawbacks to altering a Sandisk Card?

I am always a bit suspicious of the "free lunch" I wouldn't want to damage the write/read ability of my camera?

Anyone else tried this? :?
r-w is offline   Reply With Quote