Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 31, 2005, 4:36 PM   #21

I wonder what you guys (and Steve) have been doing to make the batteries run out so fast. Did you change batteries when the Low Battery warning came up?

Battery life with a couple of 2500 mAh NiHM batteries is better than what you are told in many reviews - well for me anyway; OK the "battery low" warning lights up after app. 70 shots (half with flash and with extensive use of the screen) - I tried to continue shooting after the warning light went on, and I was able to take almost a 100 shots before the batteries run out - with the internal flash being fired in 90 of those mind you!
All pictures at 8MP best res. JPGs. So the SP-350 does not have a battery problem - it has a battery METERING problem, I guess.

I wrote a review on CNet after my first week with the camera:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Olympus_SP_3...&tag=uolst

abmman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 6:43 PM   #22

Abmman-

That is a very nice Cnet review. I, personally appreciate you taking the time to file the review. Now a key question: Would you purchase the Olympus C-350 again, or would it be another digital camera?

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 7:31 PM   #23

Yes - I agree - nice write-up, Abmman.

However, I do question your comments about expectations of improved camera speed from the soon-to-be-released fast (Type H) cards: For successive still shots (i.e., not burst or movie mode), would not the speed of the built-in buffer, and not the speed of the xD card, be the determining factor for camera speed?
Peva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 6:21 AM   #24

Are you looking for this pic?
shutterbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 3:32 PM   #25

Oh yes, I would go for the SP-350 again. As for the speed when saving - of course one can´t be sure if a faster xD card would do the whole trick, but it is said that the SP-350 has a large buffer - anybody knows the exact size?
abmman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 6:10 PM   #26

abmman wrote:
Quote:
Oh yes, I would go for the SP-350 again. As for the speed when saving - of course one can´t be sure if a faster xD card would do the whole trick, but it is said that the SP-350 has a large buffer - anybody knows the exact size?
With one exception, every spec. sheet I've seen, including the one in Steve's review and the one on Olympus America's web site show 25MB. The one exception is dpreview's spec. sheet, whichshows 32MB. Is there any way tomake the camera that I have tell me how big the buffer is?
Peva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 1:26 PM   #27

abmman,

You wrote that you were able to take 100 photos after the low battery warning came on. Did you mean you were able to take 100 photos total (including the 70 before the warning), or 100 photos AFTER the low battery warning?

Thanks!
adam123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 11:30 AM   #28

Note that Olympus just released (2/16/06) a firmware update for the 350 camera. You need to install the Master software on your PC and do a camera update. Look on their website for details. In the short writeup it says this addresses the battery metering problem by resetting the dead battery trip point lower for rechargable batteries. I wonder why they did not consider rechargable batteries from the outset? I am really courious to see if this helps the battery issue with this otherwise great camera. Some of you more expert folks please try this and report back! Maybe Steve could re-review with this "fix" in place?

Ted
tmahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2006, 3:26 PM   #29

And on my SP-350 the firmware update solved the battery problem completely. Now the ideal traveler's camera is even measurably better.

I love the hot shoe and use the FL-20 flash on it all the time.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote