Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Oct 20, 2005, 8:34 PM   #1

There has been a lot of interest in the tne SP series just introduced by Olympus. Is that interest well founded, or is the SP-350 just a "re-hash" of the not too sucessful Stylus 800, another 8mp Olympus camera thatreceived just a hair breath less than a total drubbing in all the reviews?

I know that Olympus has been wading through huge financial problems lately. However, this kind of marketing is not going to restore our faith in Olympus. Yes, I do like Olympus, years ago I got started with a C-2100 ultra zoom, but I am becoming ever more wary of their offerings.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2005, 5:18 PM   #2

I don't know the answer to your question, but I got a big kick out of the comment the owner of DCresource made after the new Olympus camera introductions in August, and I can't help but agree:

"I really wanted to sneak a comment into the news today... "Hey Olympus, Nikon just called, and they want their cameras back".

Seriously, the FE-100 and 110 look like the Coolpix 4600. The SP-310 and 350 look like the Coolpix 7900. The SP-500 is very reminiscent of the Kodak Z7590.

Olympus wins the award for most uninspiring products of the year, with Pentax and Sony close behind." __________________
Jeff Keller
Editor, Digital Camera Resource Page
nellybly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 1:49 AM   #3

Hi Sarah,
Well, Jeff's comments were amusing, to be sure. I handled the SP350 today at Best Buy and it does have a similar style to the Nikon 7900 and Canon A series too, except that it's a tad larger than the 7900 and smaller than the A620 let's say. In fact, I thought the size and style was just about perfect in my hand. As you may recall, I am very interested in the Canon S80 because of its wide angle lens, but it is very costly. I am looking at the Oly SP-310/350 as a very affordable pocket P&S with all the features I could possible ask for in a camera. I only hope that image quality measures up to very good or excellent. Would you venture a comment about that, given your expertise in this area? Thanks.

Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 9:30 AM   #4

Justinian-

I too have been following with interest the Olympus SP-350. There have been several previews of the camera, such as this one:

http://steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/sp350.html

I have also seen several sample photos, that looked really good. According to the news pieces recently, Olympus will eventually replace most, if not all of the the C series cameras, with the new SP line. I really would like to see a full blown review.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 4:05 AM   #5

hi,

here are some sample pics of the new SP-310 / Sp-350:

SP-310: http://www.computerbild.de/testbilde...03_12_2005.jpg

SP-350: http://www.pbase.com/cameras/olympus/sp_350

SP-350: http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/oly...sp350-samp.php

SP-350: http://www.olympus-imaging.jp/lineup.../sp350/sample/

please feel free to add more!

I hold both cameras and the SP-500 in my hands Yesterday and I was very very pleaed with the handling. It is absolutely logical. Even better than the Sony DSC W 5/7!

I think, the SP 350 is more the successor of the legendary Canon G2!!! This Camera has had also a 3 times Zoom and the RAW Qualities if you like that! But the Canon was much heavier and bigger and has had only 4 Megapixel!

The SP-310 and SP-350 could do RAW.
The SP-500 has no RAW.

The perfect analysis of Picture Quality was in the Print-Version of German Magazine Audio-Video-Foto-Bild: They have tested only the SP-310, not the 8 Megapixel SP-350. The SP-310 was one of the top 3 Performers in the Test of complete new Cameras from 2005. There were 10 Cameras in the Test.

Only the JPEG-Picture Quality of the Fujifilm Finepix F 10 was a little bit better, but this one has no viewfinder and no RAW!

The SP 310 performed a little bit better Than the Canon A-620 and was equal in Picture Quality to the Sony DSC- W7! But both, the Canon and the Sony could do no RAW!
totti1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 10:24 AM   #6

With the prices dropping rapidly on dSLR cameras, they might be a better bet. I purchased my Oly E-300 on e-bay for $440. IMHO the photos from the E-300 have more "pop" to them. Here is a sample.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 2:37 PM   #7

totti1965--

Thanks for posting these but two of the links you posted are broken: the computerbild for the SP-310 and the samples from the Olympus.jp site don't show up. You didn't happen to grab a copy of the SP-310 image did you?

I was particularly interested in seeing SP-310 samples.

The megapixel review of the 350 makes it sound like you can use an optional remote control with the camera, but I haven't seen any other reference to this. Does anyone know if the RM-1 works with the SP series camera?

I was pleased to see that the 310 also has a "slave mode" for triggering external slave flashes.

mrp804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 4:16 PM   #8

This site has a few SP-350 pictures:

http://www.kasunstudio.com/sp350.htm

http://www.kasunstudio.com/PA180213.JPG

mrp804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2005, 10:22 PM   #9

I am sure that my feelings are strictly personal, but even after looking at the most recently posted SP 350 photo links, the photos from the SP-350 are very flat looking.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2005, 5:39 PM   #10

I purchaed an Sp-350 about a month ago.* I was very pleased with the picture quality (sharp, well exposed, wonderful color); however, it eats batteries for lunch.* I used 2300NiMH and then 2500NiMH rechargeable batteries and the camera was only able to take about 30 to 40 pictures and not at top resolution either. I returned it thinking I just got a bum camera, but the replacement is doing the same thing.* With fully charged rechargeable batteries, this one would'nt even start up.* I put the same batteries in my Sony W1 which registered them as fully charged. * *The camera was also very slow when taking flash pictures.* It takes forever to for the flash to be ready again.* Meanwhile, you're missing every shot.* I'm assuming this has something to do with the battery issue as well.*I'm really disappointed because I was very pleased with the camera in every other way.* Does anyone have any suggestions as to what camera I should try next?* I mainly take pictures of my kids (sports, indoor etc..) .* I've also been looking at the Canon A620 and S2iS.
sujo is offline   Reply With Quote