Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Feb 10, 2003, 10:35 AM   #1

Default What Telephoto Lense do you all use with your C-4000Z?

I'm in the market for a telephoto lense for my C-4000Z. I know tiffen makes a 2x telephoto, but the thread seems to small. I heard that smaller threads can cause sever vengetting (spelling). I heard that the Olympus B-300 is a really good one, but that one is discontinued, and it cost a fortune. What other telephoto lense would work great on the C-4000Z?
gmlasam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2003, 11:20 AM   #2

I have the C4040 and use the Raynox Pro 1850 (1.85X telephot). I have really enjoyed the lens and it works well with my C4040. You can check www.2filter.com for pricing and tube adapters. I use the kenko 41mm to 52mm adapter with this lens.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2003, 12:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonpd3620
I have the C4040 and use the Raynox Pro 1850 (1.85X telephot). I have really enjoyed the lens and it works well with my C4040. You can check www.2filter.com for pricing and tube adapters. I use the kenko 41mm to 52mm adapter with this lens.
Thanks!!! Would you happen to have some sample pics using that telephoto lens? How is the size compared to the tiffen to the A-200 or the tiffen telephoto lense?
Old Feb 10, 2003, 12:17 PM   #4

The Tiffen 2x MegaPlus lens does not cause vignetting at maximum zoom.

You can see some sample pictures here:

www.pbase.com/hyunyu/tiffen
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2003, 12:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyun
The Tiffen 2x MegaPlus lens does not cause vignetting at maximum zoom.

You can see some sample pictures here:

www.pbase.com/hyunyu/tiffen
Nice pics Nyun!! What about if you want to use filters along with the tiffen telephoto lens at full zoom? The 43mm doesn't seem go give you much room to stack UV or Polarizers with the tiffen telelphoto without vignetting. I think a higher thread diameter, 49+ mm would give you more room to stack at least one additional filter without vignetting at full zoom.
Old Feb 10, 2003, 12:34 PM   #6

Yeah, putting on the 43mm UV filter before the Tiffen telephoto lens will cause minor vignetting (as illustrated in one of the photos on that website above). I personally figure I can live with it--although lately I've been taking the filter off before attaching the telephoto lens to the adapter. The primary purpose of the UV filter for me is for physical protection for the lens barrel.
Old Feb 10, 2003, 1:21 PM   #7

gmlasam

Go to www.pbase.com/gibsonpd3620

Click on the Tele photo gallery. These shots were taken indoors at our church basketball league for children
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2003, 4:06 PM   #8

Hyun,
I tried taking pictures with a filter in-between the 2X and the barrel, and I got a lot of light bouoncing within the groups giving an overall fuzzy image. When i blow up your images it looks like you have the same problem.
Overall, i noticed the tiffen 2X did not give me real sharp images, even on a tripod at f5.6. I will be trying an olympus tele to see if there is a noticable difference.
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2003, 4:24 PM   #9

Hi Geof,

I must admit, I did not notice the bouncing lights or the fuzziness. I think a lot of it depends on one's level of expectation--I'm quite happy with the results I got for spending less than $100. I know there are better (= more costly) equipment out there that will give better results, but I'm squarely in a beginner's camp when it comes to photography and am happy with what I got/where I am now. I'm sure that as I learn more, my expectations will grow with it and eventually I'll find that the Tiffen solution is no longer sufficient.

I'd be interested in what you find with the Olympus telephoto lens. Please do post results when you get them.

Thanks.