Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Feb 10, 2003, 12:20 PM   #1

Default C-4000Z: manual focusing to infinity

Here's a question I posed to Olympus Tech Support: I'll post the reply when I get it. If anyone here has any thoughts/input on this matter, I'd appreciate them, too.

Thank you.

I have one of My Modes on my C-4000Z programmed as follows:

Landscape Program
Maximum optical zoom (96mm)
Manual Focus to infinity
Sequence Drive mode
No flash

Say I put the camera in Program Auto mode and take a picture of an object, say, about 5 feet away. The camera focuses on that object and takes a sharp picture, all well and fine. Now, following this, if I put the camera in My Mode (set as above), the focus does not change to infinity, but rather stays on that 5 feet range. So, if I were to take a picture of something about 100 feet away, the whole picture comes out blurry.

Is this by design? If so, is there something I can do on the My Mode setting so that upon going from Program Auto to My Mode, it'll automatically refocus to infinity?

Thank you for your time.

Hyun Yu
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2003, 5:35 PM   #2

Default Save Manual Focus in My Mode

Hyun,

I guess that you did not really save the infinity setting.

My Modes can be created either from a menu (custom) or by saving the current settings (current). If I am not mistaken, a manual focus setting can only be added to My Mode by creating My Mode from current setting.

In order to add your present manual focus setting to an existing My Mode X, you invoke My Mode X, do your manual focusing and create My Mode X anew from the current settings, including the manual focus setting.
HerbertRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2003, 6:00 PM   #3

Herbert,

Thanks for your reply.

Actually, the steps you outlined is exactly what I did (that is, saving current settings to My Mode 1). When I access My Mode 1 and check the manual focus setting, it IS set to inifnity.

If you don't mind (or anyone else here with a C-4000, for that matter), could you test it out on your C-4000 and post the results here? That is, set one of your My Modes to manual focus-infinity-->switch to Program Auto, focus on something close by, and take a photo-->switch to My Mode and take a picture of the same subject and also one of anything faraway.

With my camera, when I switch to My Mode, I'm getting a sharp photo of the close by subject and a blurred one of the subject far away. Hence my conclusion that My Mode is not refocusing to infinity when I switch it.

Thanks.
Old Feb 11, 2003, 6:28 PM   #4

Default Manual Focus

Hyun,

Was the focus setting really changed or do you assume it had changed because the pictures were not sharp at infinity? This is the bad news:

The manual focus settings are not absolutely correct, but only approximations, as described in the manual, with a large offset at maximum zoom and f=2.8. This has been discussed in detail under the thread "MF distance correct ?" from Jan. 28, 2003.
Old Feb 11, 2003, 7:07 PM   #5

Herbert,

Sorry, I don't quite follow your last question.

I understand that the manual focus is an approximation, but my point is that upon switching to My Mode, there is no automatic switch in focus from what it was in Program Auto mode to what it was saved to under My Mode.

I just tested my camera again. I focused to something a couple of feet away from me in Program Auto. Then I switched to My Mode 1 (manual focus, infinity). The same object a couple of feet away was in focus, and the building across the parking lot was blurry (both via LCD monitor and tested by taking pictures). While still in My Mode, I pressed down on the OK button to view the manual focus setting. It was where it was supposed to be, at infinity setting. Still blurry distant objects. Now, as soon as I down-clicked one level of manual focus, the distant building came into focus.

So, it seems at least with my camera, the remembered manual focus setting in My Mode does not automatically get "triggered" when I enter My Mode.

My question is quite simple, really. If My Mode has been set to focus to X distance, and I've been taking photos in Program Auto at Y distance, should the camera automatically refocus to X distance upon entering the appropriate My Mode? If so, and if other C-4000s do indeed refocus automatically, then the assumption is that I have a defective unit.
Old Feb 12, 2003, 5:12 AM   #6

Hyun,

Do we agree that, once MF and "infinite" was stored as My Mode, both your camera and my camera do correctly recall this setting? So there is no My Mode issue.

The actual problem is the limited precision of the manual focus. This problem is most apparent at maximum tele and F=2.8. With MF set to infinity, maximum tele and F=2.8, my camera is actually focused to 5m/15feet; there is no sharpness beyond that distance.

As a proof, please take some pictures with ISO 100, aperture mode, MF=infinite, F=2.8 and maximum tele. The pictures should be taken alongside an object suited for good distance and sharpness judgement like a long fence or a brick wall.

As a conclusion, I use MF only in the aperture mode with the aperture throttled down to at least F=5.6 for sufficient depth of field.

I think that your camera is not defective.

Did you check this address? :

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6755
Old Feb 12, 2003, 10:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbertRD
Do we agree that, once MF and "infinite" was stored as My Mode, both your camera and my camera do correctly recall this setting? So there is no My Mode issue.
A-ha, here we go. Nope, I don't agree--on my camera, the MF and infinity settings do not get recalled correctly, or at all, upon switching from another mode (as illustrated by my previous postings).

My issue is not with the precision of the manual focus, mine is with the camera not switching to the pre-set manual focus distance AT ALL when it's switched to My Mode.

I'll check out the link you posted. Thanks again for all your feedback/ideas.
Old Feb 12, 2003, 6:00 PM   #8

Hyun,

Finally, I tried your procedure once again. I stored a My Mode setting with Manual Focus set for infinity. Then went to P mode auto-focusing for a very short distance, then went back to My Mode. And indeed, the camera remained focused for that short distance, although programmed for infinity.

I did not have this condition earlier, because I had either turned the power off inbetween or touched the zoom. Either of these two actions forces the lens to the correct setting. This seems to be a (mild) bug, but is not an individual problem of your camera.

Sorry I needed so much time to get the point. I was too occupied with my MF precision findings.
Old Feb 12, 2003, 6:15 PM   #9

Hi Herbert,

Thanks very much for testing the "problem" out. As you noted, I agree that it's a minor one--certainly easy to get around.

Thank you, also, for all the helpful suggestions. No word from the Olympus tech support yet.
Old Feb 12, 2003, 10:49 PM   #10

Hyun,

I've been playin' with mine and it is hard to figure out...seems to be doin' the same thing that yours is...you can save it in manual focus, but it seems to not actually save the focus point.

When you switch to program, refocus, then go back to Mymode, it does show manual focus but doesn't go back to the focus that you tried to save (infinity, etc.) until you push the toggle switches.

Seems like you have to switch it back to mymode, hold down the "ok" button to get the manual focus scale, then when you just touch the toggle switches it snaps back to infinity or wherever you had saved the focus.
rych26 is offline   Reply With Quote