Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Oct 22, 2005, 5:54 AM   #1

I recently bought a new 8080 and I've been really pleased so far with the picture quality. Today I tried shooting a couple of lamps very close to the bulbs. Purple lines and bars appeared in the LCD and EV. Is this normal? The pictures looked fine.
B1ue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2005, 3:57 PM   #2

Would anyone else be willing to test this? I was shooting about 3 or 4 inches from a 30 watt bulb and a 60 watt bulb. Thanks.
Old Oct 22, 2005, 4:55 PM   #3

B1ue-

I remember doing something like that with a Canon A-70 years ago. After several days of inactivity, the LCD seemed to reset itself and came back to being worable.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 7:28 PM   #4

Thanks, Sarah. I spoke with the digital pro at a local camera supply shop that caters to professionals. He said the purple lines and banding I experienced are normal for the kind of shots I was taking. His explanation was that the LCD and viewfinder couldn't accurately display the lamp I was trying to photograph, because I was right on top of the light source. The lines only appear when I'm in close proximity to the light. When I back off they disappear. He said he's seen this effect on other digital cameras, and there's no risk of damage. I'll probably call another pro shop for a second opinion though. Hoping another 8080 owner will have experienced this and will comment here...
Old Oct 22, 2005, 10:23 PM   #5

B1ue-

I think you are safe, and your Olympus C-8080 is secure. The problem is the light source. Are you up to the E-300 or the E-500 that just received a "highly recommended" from dpreview?

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2005, 11:02 PM   #6

Sarah, I finally found the solution online. Switched to manual and stopped down to a small aperture. It also worked switching to AP and doing the same. No more lines. I read some of the E-500 review. Don't think I'm ready for a dSLR. Used to shoot with a film SLR for many years but got tired of carrying the lenses and accessories around. I like taking nature photographs and hiking around with all that gear just got old. I think the 8080 with a monopod is a good compromise for now. I'll probably pick up a UZ cam in the next couple of months and between the two I'll be able to do most of what I want.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 9:14 AM   #7

Blue-

That decision makes sense to me. I have the E-300 and am not inclined to make the jump to the E-500 in a hurry.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote