Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Feb 15, 2003, 4:27 AM   #31

OK I have no idea how it cut like that. I'm not sure which program is to blame on that one. I think I'll blame picture it digital image pro since it was the last one to save it. But regardless I think I got the picture set right.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2003, 4:29 AM   #32

actually it was me. now I got to upload another pic.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2003, 12:13 PM   #33

Hi, Johnny,

Great to see you're having a better time with your C4000.

I've just been playing with your charming lady friend and got a bit more radical with her make-up job (flash really does nothing for a lady's complexion, does it?)

Anyway, here's a small version. If you want the full-size version it's at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/fenlander/ma_1.jpg.

BTW, if I had the time, I'd love to get rid of that red thing sticking out of her head...

fenlander

fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2003, 1:42 PM   #34

Fenlander, you are the man! I don't suppose you would like to 'share' your techniques? She is now absolutely gorgeous and her dermatologist is 'out of work', lol
Blessings, Johnny
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2003, 3:58 PM   #35

Great work fenlander,I think that you could make a stick man drawing look like a painting by Auguste Renoir with your soft touch style with the software. You made a good picture of a girl a great one with your techniques.
Kanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 3:16 AM   #36

I would just like to 'salute' all the members of the Olympus C-4000 forum, it was not so long ago that we were at odds with each other, but now there is an undeniable 'comradeship' among us individuals who purchased a C-4000 and were initially disappointed, but with the nurturing of other members, grew to learn about and appreciate the camera and digicams in general. I'm especially pleased that Fenlander, who was my biggest critic and 'thorn', has now become a blessing with his enormous talent, and has helped me grow into a new appreciation of digital photography!
Thank you Lord and everyone else involved here, don't you just feel like one big family?
I guess it's too early to be asking 'dating 'advice... :lol:
Oh, and for those interested, yes I did do everything humanly possible to 'woo' the young lady in my post. Sadly, the person I envision myself as being, is not the same one she sees, or the same one I see in the mirror every morning! But, I think you older guys should be proud of me for 'trying', at the very least, I still get to spend a lot of time in her presence, and it does this old heart 'good'!!! 8)
Blessings, Johnny
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 6:13 AM   #37

Johnny,

The basic technique is a standard one for "glamourising" photos. Any decent photo editor that has layer control will do it. I use Paintshop Pro 7.

1) Open the picture and duplicate the layer. Although the picture looks no different, there are now 2 identical layers superimposed.
2) Apply a 15-pixel gaussian blur to the top layer.
3) Adjust the opacity of the top layer to around 50%. You now have what looks like a softened version of the original in which most skin blemishes are removed or reduced. However, the softening is all on the top layer, so...
4) Use the eraser tool to remove the top layer over vital areas, such as the eyes, lips, jewellery etc.
5) Merge the layers.

In practice, this is followed by more detailed work using clone and retouch tools, especially on areas like the forehead, cheek and nose where the flash had burned out the colour.

fenlander
Old Feb 16, 2003, 12:38 PM   #38

fenlander,
well done it does seem to be on a more friendly basis than dpreview forums i would welcome your comments on my post in newbies lens problem tho i think i might be going off filters if i can work harder at ps7.
jasm
jasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 1:08 PM   #39

Great job!! How did you remove the glare though.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 2:09 PM   #40

Steve,

That's the bit I tried to avoid explaining - it's just artwork, really. I duplicate the layer again, use the clone tool with a low opacity (around 10-20) and density around 50 to sprinkle in some colour from surrounding areas, then select the area and apply another gaussian blur to spread the colour more or less evenly. Finally, I use the retouch tool set to 'soften' or 'smudge' to smooth out any unevenness. It's very unscientific.

fenlander