Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Feb 12, 2003, 10:00 AM   #1

Default C730UZ some questions

While I wait for the answer from olympus support I decied to make outdoor photos.

I got photos that contained much red color(ISO=100, WB=Auto). I managed to reduce this red effect using a flash and "Fine wheather" light source yet it was cloudy. Any advice how to completely reduce this red effect?
I tried also to change WB values but it didnt help

Another interesting point i discovered. If i use SQ1(1600x1200-High) image quality then the size of photo become bigger in comparison with SHQ(provided I made photos of the same object). Also the visual quality of SQ1 and SHQ is the same.

Does C730UZ have errors in compression algorithm?

When I looked in metadata(acdsee 5.0) i found out under "Maker note" section that "digital zoom ratio"=1 yet under "Image" section it was 0.
Does it influence somehow on the quality of photos?

thank you
Andrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2003, 12:47 PM   #2

Can you post the offending photo - we need to see it first.

Quote:
Another interesting point i discovered. If i use SQ1(1600x1200-High) image quality then the size of photo become bigger in comparison with SHQ(provided I made photos of the same object). Also the visual quality of SQ1 and SHQ is the same.
One (SHQ) is being highly compressed and the other not so much. This reduces the file size of the 3mp (SHQ) images leaving more room on the memory card.

As for your last point - Dunno!
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2003, 3:56 PM   #3

Steve,

i wil create a site with photos.

As for SQH and SQ1 - you are right, one is highly compressed then other. But from my point of view it should be SQ1 - this format provides(theoretically) better compression at the expense of quality
Old Feb 13, 2003, 6:26 AM   #4

Steve, you can look at photos at
http://www.pbase.com/andrx/galleries

there are 4 photos - 2 made in th eoffice under SQH and SQ1 and 2 made outside under SHQ and SQ1 image quality settings.

regards,
Old Feb 13, 2003, 1:35 PM   #5

Andrx, I was expecting something bright red, it's more of a tint really.

You're are right though, there is a definate red tint to the second one. I think it's a white balance thing.

Does this happen all the time? Do all SQ1 pics have this tint relative to SHQ?
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2003, 2:15 PM   #6

Andrx, I think that you may be confusing some concepts here, or maybe I don't understand you correctly. You're stating that SQ1 1600 x 1200 appears bigger then SH 2048 x 1536. I'm not sure what you mean by bigger - bigger on your monitor?

First off, the office photos are not identical, unless you just cropped them differently. The SH one has an area on top that is not in the SQ1 image. Comparisons really should be identical. Still it's obvious that the SH image DOES possess more data. For example, zoom in on the Steffen book on the top shelf. Is it not bigger (for lack of a better word) then in the 1600 x 1200 image. Yes it is. Now increase the Steffen book in SQ1 to 2048 x 1536, is it as defined and sharp as the Steffen book in the SH setting? - No. The reason is that the SH image possesses more pixels/data and is able to render that small part of the image better. More pixels, = better image on that small part of the image. Now most of the time the difference between the two is not that important, but if you're printing large you might notice a difference. In digital photography for monitor output the benefit of SH is your cropping ability. With a higher resolution (more pixels/data) you are able to crop smaller parts of the image while retaining more info/pixels/detail/definition etc.

Regards,

Brian
Brian_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2003, 5:00 PM   #7

Hi

under size I meant bytes.
SQ1 - uses stronger compression so the image quality is expected worser but you benefit in the size of a file.
In my case SQ1 photo is about 1250Kb whereas SQH photo is only 1020Kb.

Probably you are right about not identical photos but I tried to focus on the same area of the office's shelves using the same settigns of camera(for exception of image quality-SHQ vs. SQ1)

But anyway, today I returned my camera to the store and got my money back

thank you for help.