Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Oct 27, 2005, 10:49 AM   #1

Hey all.. I was at Best Buy and Circuit City last nite looking for a new camera.. The wife and I buying our first.. Yes I know we are not with the times yet.. Both places we took our time but 1 camera seemed nice and that was the Olympus 6pix Stylus 600 camera.. The menu seemed real easy to use and the flash seemed fast.. We havn't gotten yet but seems like a good one to use.. Can anybody give me some good or bad opinions about this camera?? .. Just using for kid pics, occasional movie clips, and maybe some upclose shots..

Thanks, Dxtra
Dxtra30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 27, 2005, 5:14 PM   #2

Hi Dxtra, I've been looking at that camera too and waiting for some reviews. Just seen the first one (I think) here http://www.photographyblog.com/revie...igital_600.php

Hope this helps.

Kaydee
Kaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2005, 5:15 PM   #3

Thanks for input..
Dxtra30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 7:12 PM   #4

I too became interested in the Stylus 600, after already owning the 300, and now the 500. But one thing I didnt like was the apparent lack of sound recording capability, according to the Olympus website. After comparing the specs, I think I like the 500 better. It also looks like the back section of the 600 is plastic, the 500 is all metal. The review mentioned above says that the movie mode does record with sound, but I see no speaker or mic anywhere on the cam. I guess I wont know for sure until I can actually get my hands on one.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 10:28 PM   #5

Hi, I've also been looking at that camera. I want to find a good camera for backpacking around asia and Australia. The Olympus stylus cameras look ok.. I like the idea that they are weatherproof. I think the camera just came out on the market this summer and I've also been waiting for some reviews.

Mike, how was the Stylus 500 on batteries? I'm not sure if I should go for a camera that takes AA batteries or the other lithium ones because I know I may not always be able to recharge the batteries while I'm traveling.

Thanks.
sharonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2005, 9:53 PM   #6

I have one of these. Image quality is inferior to other 6mp P & S in its class.
I wouldnt recommend this camera for anyone who wants pictures 8x10 or over.
Excellent for 4x6 though.
Doesnt record movie with sound which just sucks.
Nice built-in guide, which is awesome.
Excellent Bright Capture Technology
Nice 2.5" LCD w/ 115,000 pixels
Ver7 compact and easily fits into my top shirt pockets.
All Weather which is wonderful.

I'd say get a an extra $100 and get the Stylus 800 if you like the All Weather models or if you're gonna stick to prints below 8x10.

All in all I give it:

6.0 out of 10

twendane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 7:34 PM   #7

Hope you have better luck than me.My Oly 500 failed,sent it back at my expense TWO times after which they said a new one would coming then said out of stock & will send when restock.Three times back $30. my expense and Christmas coming without the camera.Almost three months with NO CAMERA.Will purchase another brand for Christmas shooting.Will NEVER purchase another Olympus.
SoliVita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 9:46 PM   #8

Sharonator, I'm sorry I took so long to respond to your question. I was very apprehensive to get a camera with a non standard battery, but I have to say the battery life is amazing with the Stylus 500. That thing keeps going, and going, and going... much better than 2 AA NiMh. This cam used the LI-12 battery which has more capacity than the LI-10. I found a spare on Ebay, but I've never needed it yet. The best part is the LI-ion battery doesn't lose it's charge while the cam is off, so it's always ready to go!
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote