Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Feb 14, 2003, 2:40 PM   #1

Default Rehash old question - after the wreck

WellI was about to go buy a camera and had a spill on my motorcycle. Now that I am a bit more functional it is time to make the purchase. I still haven't been able to decide yet. Maybe you folks can help me out.

The c4000 looks like it does everything well and that I would be happy with it for quite a while.

The c5050 looks like it does everything well. It also has multiple storage methods, can take longer movies, has sound, has a hotshoe, and has 5mp.

Now this will be my first digital cam so both will probably have more options than I will know how to use at first. The 5050 cost more but does have some neat-o features. The one thing that concerns me is this:
I put as much stock in the reviews at imagine-resourse.com as I do here. I think they both do very good and fairly bias free reviews. The one thing that I noticed with the 5050 test pics was that the 4000 did a much better job with the auto white balance. Until I really get to know the camera, I will be using the auto WB quite a lot. Has anybody notice problems witht he white balance on either camera? (I also noticed the really cool ultra-macro feature on the 5050 - very nice)

IF the 5050 is problem free (including the white balance issue shown on imagine resourse), is it worth the extra $300 to an amature photographer?

I would really appreciate some feedback. You guys are way ahead of the curve on producing nice photos (and on correcting ones that are slightly off).

Thanks,
Lodewick in Houston
Lodewick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2003, 2:46 PM   #2

also - please forgive all of the spelling errors - I am still pretty medicated.

thanks
Old Feb 14, 2003, 3:47 PM   #3

Lodewick

Budget restraints!! The C5050 would be a great buy if you plan indoor shots. The C5050 has many nice features but the best is the F1.8 lens and the great optics. The C4000 has good optics and the F2.8 lens. The c5050 will do better low light condition photos. The value of the multiply meida types is next feature I consider important in the C5050. The photo assist lamp will provide you near dark focusing situations. The moveable lcd panel will provide you versatility in awarkard shooting modes. The movie with sound -- so so. The manual functions for both cameras are very similar. Hence, budget restraints will have to guide you on which camera. If the C5050 is within your budget, I would purchase it.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2003, 4:10 PM   #4

Lodewick,

The 5050 is a super nice camera. I decided myself to buy the 4000--and I'm plenty happy with it. It was also a budget thing as well, as I could afford to buy extra memory and filters/converter lens and a nice photo printer with the price difference. If money were of no object, then I'd go with the C-5050--for all the reasons Phil mentioned. It'd last you a long, long time.
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2003, 5:40 PM   #5

What about the auto white balance. It appears the 4000 does a much beter job (per the review on imagine resource). The 4000 also seems to have less Chromatic Abb.
Old Feb 14, 2003, 5:45 PM   #6

my mistake - the auto white balance problem was with a different camer. The difference between the 4000 and 5050 was in distortion. The 5050 had 1.0 at wide and .1 at telephoto. The 4000 had about .37 at wide and .27 or .19 at telephoto. The 4000 also had less CA.

Does this really matter? How would it matter? Would it show up in big prints?
Old Feb 15, 2003, 2:14 AM   #7

I considered the CA and "noise" to be relatively minor problems, especially as you really have to enlarge a lot to see most of the CA, and the so called noise factor can be reduced by changing the settings. I also decided that the advantages far outweighed the so called disadvantages of this camera, partly because I'm a total newb to digital photography and CA and noise don't bother me at this stage, and partially because no digital camera is perfect anyway.

You will have to decide for yourself. But I considered the two biggest critisisms of the 5050 to be nit picking, as if the reviewers felt they had to find something; anything; wrong, in order to appear to be giving a "balanced" review.
Also, this purchase of a digital camera is going to be a one shot deal for me, so I bought the best I could afford. I can't be constantly upgrading.

Btw, sorry to hear about your crash. I ride myself. I just thought of something disappointing about the 5050 after all: It will only fit in the pocket of my summer weight leather jacket. Not the spring and fall one. It's too big for a pocket, and too small for my large hands. So I'll have to put it in the sissy bar bag. Nothing I can do about the hands though. I used a Rollei 35S for 25 years however. I guess I'll get used to it. :lol:
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2003, 10:47 AM   #8

Lodewick,
I have the c3000 wich has the same lens as the 4000, and now also have the 5050 which has the same lens as the 3030, 4040. To put things into perspective, the main reason you will get more CA and BD out of the 1.8 lens is exactly that: the larger aperture creates the distortion. Is it noticable?: between my two cameras, at a 11"X17" print, no it isn't.
Keep in mind that all these digital lenses (no matter what a lot of reviews say) are at their best at mid-apertures, as the larger settings create abberations, and the really small ones difraction. But I have used the 5050 at 1.8 and the results are great.

:lol: By the way, the best accesasary you can buy if you ride a bike is a pelican waterproof case; it will survive a spill ( mine saved my 3000 from a face plant mountain biking downhill at about 50 k's (or 30mph). Its worth it :!: :!:
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2003, 8:25 PM   #9

Well I don't think I will be riding my bike for a while. I broke my shoulder and my pride. Plus I have to fix a blinker and put on a new pipe.

I think the 5050 is the way to go. J&R has it for $100 less than Best Buy but Best Buy offers a 4yr warranty. Cost = the $100 plus a small fee for the warr. - Is it worth buying the 4 yr warr.?
Old Feb 20, 2003, 12:55 AM   #10

Well all I know is returning anything to best buy is like pulling teeth from a live hippo. I'd probably buy it at compusa just for the service factor. Also even if you buy it at J&R you can still get an extended warranty from somewhere else. Not a store front but some place like General electric.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote