Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jul 2, 2002, 8:46 PM   #1

Default C-2100 - Where to buy?

Hello, I've gotten quite tired of my Fujifilm Finepix 1300, and am ready for something a bit better. I've been looking at both the Oly C-700, and C-2100, and it seems like the C-2100 is worth the extra $$. The problem is, where can I buy one? I've seen little online shops with refurbished C-2100's for a bit under $500, and there's some on eBay, but I'd like to find one locally. Would I be safe in getting a refurbished unit? It seems like a number of people have gotten the "sudden death syndrome" with their C-2100's, is this something I should worry about? I've not been one to go for "extended warranties", but I'd really hate for my $500 camera to die after 13 months. Or should I be looking for a diffeent camera? I was very impressed by the Sony Cybershot 707, but the price tag scared me off...

Thanks for any tips or opinions!
kram is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2002, 8:40 AM   #2

Kram,
I have bought numerious Olympus cams and Epson printers that are refurbs. I make sure that the manufacture is the warrenty provider, and it comes with all accs that the new one does. 2100 is the hardest refurb to find. Do not know any 2100's that have failed but have had to send others back, 1 new, 1 refurb. on/off switch on both. seems like they tweack them also when they get them back, that all listed when they come back.For Olypus first 30 days store sends them back and you get new one(OLympus fixes and it becomes refurb), next 11 months you send cam to olympus and get your same came back, so their refurbs tend to have little use on them. Do not think you can get cam at local store under $600.
Hope this helps some,
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2002, 9:02 PM   #3

Thanks! I've been thinking of just getting a C-700 new from Sears, they'll match online site's prices, so I could probably get one for about $380 or less. Or should I get a refurbed C-2100? I'd really like a C-2100, but I'm sorta uneasy about the 90 day warranty, and I dont really want to get one off ebay...though that might be the best route...?

Thanks again!
Old Jul 3, 2002, 10:49 PM   #4

I got em both, 2100 is the way.
1. does sound and video both.
2. has image stabalizer
3. has remote
4. comes with batteries and charger
5. better in low light.
Bought Olympus refurbs before, use them everychance you get during warrenty, if they have a weak spot that will bring it out. saw them on web for $450.
G
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2002, 6:38 AM   #5

Thanks! I emailed an eBay seller, who said he'd sell me a brand new C-2100 for $499 shipped. Seems like a good deal, should I go for it?
Old Jul 9, 2002, 12:40 PM   #6
lg

Yes, it's a good price. I paid $497 at Wal-Mart. The only price lower I have seen for a new one was at CompUSA; they offered a $100 in-store rebate coupon on a price of $499. The catch was you have to go to a store that had one, and the closest one to me was 100 miles away.

Buy it-- you'll like it!
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2002, 1:32 PM   #7

I found one at CompUSA, it was the last one, the display model. I got it for $449, with their 3 year warranty thing. It was missing the original batteries, but they threw in an AC adapter, the SM card was gone, so they gave me a 16MB...no lens cap, so I picked one up at Ritz today.

And you're very right, I do like it! Very much!
Old Jul 31, 2002, 11:55 PM   #8

Default C-2100 availability

I finally found a new, in-the-box C-2100 UZi at CompUSA in W. Palm Beach. I'm in PA and had to call around until I found one. Once I found a store that still had one in stock I had to work around the store's "no shipping policy" - talked to the asst. sales manager (great guy - Ricardo) and he agreed to ship the cameral to me. Don't bother with CompUSA's nat'l website or 800 #. You'll get nowhere. There was a mgr in the Honolulu store that worked with buyers, but he sold out the night before I discovered the thread. I called at least a half dozen stores before I found one. I've read so many good reviews of the UZi that I decided on it as my first digicam.
CompUSA's price - if you can locate one - $349.99. Good luck.
Dave GnuMr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2002, 6:22 AM   #9

I've had mine for over 3 weeks now, and I like it more and more! I ordered another one from the Honolulu CompUSA, hopefully it comes today.

Have fun!
Old Aug 1, 2002, 6:40 PM   #10

I just purchased a 2100 refurb with a 90 day warranty for $369.00 at Choice One Digital via the internet. My local Wal-Mart sells brand-new 2100's for $499.00. New or refurbished models aren't that hard to find on the internet. Almost any search engine (I use Google) will pull 'em up. But be careful shopping on the 'net. I review 'net stores at sites such as "Bizrate.com" or "ResellerRatings.com". I also use the "star" system at Yahoo.com. If you shop smart, you can find what you want at a price you can afford to pay. Hope this tidbit helps!!!

[Edited on 8-1-2002 by shorty]
shorty is offline   Reply With Quote