Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 3, 2005, 8:09 PM   #1

Hello, forum.
I have the C7070 for one month.
In the beginning I was a little disappointed as the new camera had 10 (ten) stuck pixels, but they disappeared after using pixel mapping. I hope new ones not to show up too soon. The other annoying thing is the purple fringing in high contrast areas, but I'll learn how to avoid that. For the rest - they are a lot of great elements and the results can be very good.
I have a question for the people who have either C5060 or C8080. As I have read in those camera's manuals, the (small and circular) spot metering target area can be moved using the arrow pad. I was interested in this feature, but on the C7070 no more, the spot metering is done inside the AF area (inside the AF brackets, no more circle), linked with it, and in the metering menu the arrows disappeared. So, how is it on the C5060 and C8080 ? Are the AF and spot metering areas linked (metering spot moving together with AF) and when using the metering arrows separated, or not linked in the first place ?
Thank you.
viggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2005, 10:56 AM   #2

Really, nobody kind enough to tell me if C5060 and/or C8080 has spot AE linked to AF area ? Thank you.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 8:21 PM   #3

Hi Viggen: I have an Oly C8080; and not only can you use the arrows to adjust the location of the spot metering within the AF area, you can also use spot multi-metering and average up to 8 spots of your choosing for the exposure.
Steven R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 10:51 PM   #4

I know and seems that C7070 is the last Oly to offer multi-spot metering, a thing they invented and introduced in the 80s with OM3 and 0M4 cameras. Many Camedia (C series - now dead) digital cameras had multi-spot metering but not one of their dSLRs. That's strange. (Maybe will be on the replacement for E-1. With E500 Olympus revived highlight/shadow spot metering, another thing present on OM3 & OM4.) The only cameras left on the market now with multi-spot metering (also a 8 measurements average) are Canon EOS-1D(s) markII :lol:
Anyway, C7070 has multi-spot metering and I use it much of the time. An interesting fact is that, when in multi-spot, the metering is not always stopped down, in many cases the aperture is not closing with the press of AEL, by contrast with the other types of metering in the camera.

But, what I asked was if the spot metering circle is moving automatically together with the AF area when that one moves inside the frame. And from what you say I think it is so.

In fact, all these AF/metering areas gizmos are almost pure software, not like in a SLR with special sensors for. It's so easy to make an advanced (not so fast operating, true) mirrorless camera, but SLRs need to survive, don't they? :G

Now, let's enjoy our endangered breed of cameras :|