Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 4, 2005, 11:19 PM   #1

Since this is pretty new camera, I have only really found a few sample pictures of this camera and user reviews. Half good, half not so good. So what can you tell me? I am pretty much leaning towards this or the Fuji S5200, but have not ruled out the Panasonic FZ20. Opinions? Thoughts?

fofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2005, 5:04 AM   #2

hi, fofa,

i posted my thoughts on the sp500 here: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=87

to sum up: macro and super macro are amazing; general image quality is great; shot-to-shot speeds and whatnot seem good to me, although admittedly this is my first digicam. the only major problem is pretty shocking purple fringing, but for me the good outweighs that, especially when the majority of it is fixable in photoshop or whatever.

i've had it for a few days now, and absolutely love it! i was also trying to decide between the 5200 and the sp500, and i bought the sp500 with the option of returning it and exchanging for a 5200 if i wasn't satisfied. i'm keeping it!

if you have any questions or would like to see some pictures shot in specific conditions, ask and i'll see what i can do

- josie.
josie perskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 8:44 AM   #3

hi, josie perskins

I'm interested in this camera, too.

Could you shoot some indoor-pictures to show us the quality of this cam in this respect?

I'ld be glad to see some images.

Perhaps you could give us the EXIF-dates.

Thanks in advance.

Regards peter

pana2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 11:09 PM   #4

Wow, thanks for that. I'm kind of with pana2005, would like to see some exiting light indoor stuff, maybe higher ISO stuff? Those zooms of the birds looked pretty good.
How does the auto exposure control do in outdoor shots with a bad mix of shade and bright areas? How bad is the purple fringing? Thanks for sharing with us.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 10:10 AM   #5

Hi I hve just purchased this camera, Can anyone tel me how to turn on the digital zoom please ? I asked at the place I purchased this from, however they said [unhelpfully] read the manual I have cover to cover & still no joy.

cheers in hope

Lesley
Justwatersports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 10:49 AM   #6

In the Advanced Instruction Manual (on CD only I think) it goes like this (page 39): Top menu -> [MODE MENU]-> [CAMERA]-> [DIGITAL ZOOM]->[ON]. But are sure you need digital zoom on a 10x optical zoom camera ???
viggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 10:56 AM   #7

Thank you I have just called the support centre & you are spot on As long as the camera is in the "P" mode not in auto which I was trying the camera mode appears. re the digital zoom bit, tried it out in the shop in digital zoom was a little puzzled why won't work, I was a bit curious. :?

cheers Lesley
Justwatersports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 11:10 AM   #8

On page 182 you will see that this is the normal behaviour: In Auto mode digital zoom is disabled and in the Scene mode limited.
viggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 9:09 PM   #9

megapixel.net provides a review of the SP500.

Looks like its price is lower than of the Fuji 5200's - but I still hate xD cards.

Steve, what about a battle of ultrazooms?
shutterbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 9:54 PM   #10

Shutterbuggy Thanks for the link!
Well I guess the 500 UZ isn't for me. That link really helped out as it said the EVF did NOT have a diopter correction dial. I need that as I do not take my reading glasses with me all the time. (It's heck getting old). Guess I will have to think about the S5200 some more.