Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 5, 2005, 11:48 AM   #1

Hi, I'm new to this forum and also to a factory reconned 50650wz. It seems to work ok but i notice a clicking sound at the end of the power up cycle and during the auto focus movement. Is this OK?. Only had the camera 5 hrs (it took that long to charge the battery). Thanks in advance for any help. P.S I never posted to a forumn before so I hope I haven't made a mess of it. Regards from the UK. - Journeyman
Journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2005, 3:12 PM   #2

My guess: it is the clicking sound made by the blades of the aperture when they are closing. If using a aperture value other than the widest at the given focal lenght, the AF is done in maximum light (the widest aperture) then the blades are closing to the desired one. Make a test: put the camera in aperture priority mode, use the lowest focal lenght (minimum zoom) and aperture 2.8. It should make no clicking sound after focus. Then use other aperture value, say 5.6, focus and it will click. You can watch through the front of the lens to see the blades closing and making the click.
Hope your camera is ok. I also got worried by the aperture noise and by the fact that in certain zoom positions the lens can be moved easily in the transverse plane. But is working fine.

How the maximum aperture value (not the physical opening) varies with the zoom range in the C7070 (I think the same with C5060):
F2.8 - 2 zoom steps (counting the lowest)
F3.2 - 5 zoom steps
F3.5 - 3 zoom steps (F3.5 first at a little past mid zoom)
F4.0 - 2 zoom steps
F4.5 - 3 zoom steps
F4.8 - 1 zoom step, maximum zoom
At the end of zoom sequence, a slight or more pronounced click can be heard.

The other apertures: F5.6, F6.3, F7.1, F8.0, F9.0, F10, F11. C5060 only until F8.0.
viggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2005, 5:20 PM   #3

Thanks Vigen for your advice, I will try out your suggestion. One thing that puzzles me is when i switch on in P mode and the lens does its initialisation thing I get a clicking just after the lens stops so baybe related to what you say. I'll let you know. Once again, Thanks my freind.
Old Nov 5, 2005, 5:44 PM   #4

Hi again Viggen, I think you are correct about the aperture noise so nothing to worry about there. I have spent a little more time listeneing and trying different modes (P-A-S-M) before switch on and the noise at the end of the lens initialisation period is louder, longer and similar to the sound that a fishing reel makes with the ratchet on. Do you think is a normal part of the boot up sequence and perhaps some mechanical overtravel gizmo. I have tried with AF fullon and off? Once again many thanks and I would welcome any further thoughts you may have. I will contact Oly UK on Monday and see what they say and let you know via this thread. Have a nice weekend and regards - Journeyman
Old Nov 5, 2005, 5:44 PM   #5

Hi again Viggen, I think you are correct about the aperture noise so nothing to worry about there. I have spent a little more time listeneing and trying different modes (P-A-S-M) before switch on and the noise at the end of the lens initialisation period is louder, longer and similar to the sound that a fishing reel makes with the ratchet on. Do you think is a normal part of the boot up sequence and perhaps some mechanical overtravel gizmo. I have tried with AF fullon and off? Once again many thanks and I would welcome any further thoughts you may have. I will contact Oly UK on Monday and see what they say and let you know via this thread. Have a nice weekend and regards - Journeyman
Old Nov 5, 2005, 6:55 PM   #6

Most probable is nothing to worry about. But you should test how the camera focuses, better tomorrow, in daylight. And look through the front of the lens to see if the sound coincides with the aperture adjusting after the lens is extending or after focusing. In that case not worry and enjoy taking pictures. If is something else, I don't know...is your camera factory refurbished ?
A nice weekend to you too, hope to hear good news :|
viggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2005, 6:57 PM   #7

Hi Viggen, Ispoke with Oly UK. They advsised that clicking noise is normal. I played the noise via the telephone and they played the same back from one of their reconned C5060WZ. So all looks ok. Thanks for your help. Good luck my freinf - Journeyman.